To Sault - Lavender Fields, Forever - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2003 to July 8, 2003

To Sault

So here’s why we came when we did, landing in Provence in the midst of a historic heat wave.  Experiencing the lavender in bloom just felt like something we had to see for ourselves.  The heat and humidity were crushing and probably the first thing that comes to our minds now, years later; but given the chance I’d do it again and plan to be luckier on the weather.  Spectacular.

I think that we took two days to bike from Moustiers to Sault, but I’m not even certain of that.  Assuming we did, we must have broken the distance with a stay at either Manosque or Forcalquier; but I can’t recall anything from either spot and have no photos as evidence.  So maybe we just covered it all in a single day.

I’m sure we stayed two nights in Sault though, and biked the Nesque Gorge on the layover day.  What I remember most from Sault was looking down across the lavender fields below town, and the markets.  Surprisingly, the fact that we were only a few miles from the eastern ascent of Mont Ventoux didn’t figure into our plans.  I don’t recall it even being something we considered, but it would have been a fine time for it with a clear sunny day, the chance to climb without panniers, and legs that were younger than when we would finally make it over the top twelve years later.  

Looking back at Moustiers Sainte-Marie from the edge of the Valensole Plateau.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsAt last! My chance to "Like" the album's cover photo...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterI took a self-guided tour in early July, 2012 that passed through the same region of Provence. The Valensole Plateau in full lavender bloom is definitely worth it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It wasn’t just the lavender.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Banon, I believe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down from Sault.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking ahead at Mont Ventoux from the Nesque Gorge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 721 miles (1,160 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0