Zonza - On Corse - CycleBlaze

Zonza

the D 368 through Ospedale Forest and Aiguilles de Bavella

The price of last night's Peitra has stuck in Dave's head and cast a shadow over Porto-Vecchio's charms. 

We decide to forgo sightseeing and instead pedal straight out of town, which isn't as easy as you'd think. We do it after asking various drivers and riding around a bit. 

Our route is the D 368, heading up to Ospedale. Punta di a Vacca Morta looms in the distance - the 1,314-meter-high "peak of the dead cow". We ponder what that's all about. 

In March 2010, Lance Armstrong was racing here on this very stretch of D 368. He got pipped to the top of Col de L'Ospedale by Alberto
Contador in what was the first stage of a two-day criterium. 

We're going much slower than those guys.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

By noon we've cycled by a scenic reservoir, but the bright morning sunshine has long gone and once at the village of Zonza the overhanging clouds start to spit rain. Lucky for us we stay dry and enjoy pizza sat at a bar's covered table located on the village's main street, where a young Dutch couple who are touring by car strike up a chat. None of us moves for an hour. 

The bar owner tells us he owns a house we can stay at and it seems like a good proposition at 53 euros. It's just along the street and the place has a couple of rooms. Done. 

After a hot shower, we walk back to the bar, sit at the same table and order an omelette, along with some Pietra, of course.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 485 km (301 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0