Golfe de la Liscia over Col de Listincone - On Corse - CycleBlaze

Golfe de la Liscia over Col de Listincone

to Ajaccio

Cafe au lait with two croissants: a nice continental breakfast sat at a table in the dim, chocolate-brown bar. Shame it doesn't pack many carbs as we kind of need some - from coastal Tiuccia it's a 10km climb to Col de Listincone (232m). Not great first thing in the morning. 

It beats commuting to the office in the rain though.

The 81 drops from the col for seven kilometers and Tees into the busier N194. 

Candy and The Kisses are done. 

We soon get into the center of Ajaccio, a network of one-way streets and fast traffic making an unwelcome greeting. We roam around aimlessly for a while, then find the beach and Dave has a dip while I make sure the bikes are okay. 

Ajaccio
Heart 2 Comment 0

His cycling tan makes him look like a chocolate and vanilla sundae. It's roasting and too hot for me to stand in the sun, so I seek a piece of shade and wait.

After taking some photos of the simple cathedral where Napoleon was baptized, we then head to the downtown tourism office where they tell us the location of a local campsite and we ask about the best route going south: there's a corniche road (D 55) and one slightly inland (D 302). 

Ajaccio
Heart 0 Comment 0

However, we learn that small pleasure boats sail each morning down to Bonifacio, so go check them out and the woman selling tickets in a booth on the quayside gives us a price: 40 euros each. That's twice the ferry price from Nice, but after thinking it over, we decide to give it a go and ride out to find the campsite.

The camping place turns out to be at the top of a short but very steep hill. There's an air of tranquility to it but the soil is like concrete and I struggle like hell to get my tent pegs in. 

We'll have to get up early - the boat sails at 8am - so don't stay up too late.

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 395 km (245 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0