From Nice by Ferry to Bastia - On Corse - CycleBlaze

From Nice by Ferry to Bastia

Corsica bound

This is it. We're on our way to Corsica... or Corse as they say here.

Dave and I leave our rather snazzy villa B&B at the top end of Nice after a breakfast of fresh fruit salad and lovely eggs on toast.  We cruise down towards the historic seafront and hastily explore the Old Quarter's narrow streets like a couple of manic, camera-toting sightseers before making a left towards the ferry terminal.

This isn't the real tour. Not yet. We both know it but say nothing. There's no need. There's that ferry ride to do first.

Nice
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's hot and around mid-day when we spot a couple of cyclists are on the wide prom, taking in the super view of the ridiculously blue sea. We all chat and we find out they're also Brits. 

They're heading east to Italy and beyond, on a long tour, riding their new Thorns. 

I suggest fitting in Corsica; the ferry leaves for Bastia very soon; it's just 20 euros each; perfect timing; the island is one of the world's best places for cycle touring; they'd love it. 

Maybe I sound too much like an evangelical tourism officer. Or a crazy bastard on a bike. They seem to think I'm bullshitting.

They decline. Their loss.

It's 7-ish when the ferry eventually docks. By then we're bored of looking at the sea. 

It's dusk as we ride to Bastia's crowded center and quickly find a hotel for 50 euros. Our bikes get locked in a nearby garage and Dave and I then  wash and go in search of a bar, which doesn't take us long. We're pretty good at things like that. Pure, natural talent.

It's right on the waterfront of the Vieux Port (Old Port)  and we sit and watch Chelsea get beaten by Barcelona in the second Champions League semi while trying local Pietra beer.

Pietra. Oh yes!

This six-percent brew goes down really well and becomes our evening drink of choice on the trip.  The island's very own beer - the name means 'Stone' - is made by Corsica's sole brewery and its splendid golden hue is due to chestnut flour.  Nice, and a bit nutty.

We have a few.

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 10 km (6 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonHey, Graham. Hope you and Debbie are well. I loved Corsica too, and wish I could go back and experience it for the first time again.

That’s not really why I’m posting though. I wanted to let you know that we have just put up a new website, Cycle365, as an alternative to Bicycle Life: http://cycle365.life. It’s a bit early to be sure, but it looks like it could fly. You might check it out - you’ll recognize all of the authors who have signed on so far.

Take care,
Scott
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonHi, Scott

Thanks for dropping me a line to let me know what you've been up to. I imagine there's a lot of work involved and I wish you every success.

Is the general idea to focus on local rides and bicycle-oriented discussion, rather than tours?

Cheers,

Graham
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Scott AndersonYes, short outings only. It looks like Jeff has a good handle on longer rides. He’s made it clear that he doesn’t want to deal with day trippers though for the time being, so we came up with Cycle365 as an alternative.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago