The Bullhorn Scare - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2022 to March 28, 2022

The Bullhorn Scare

There were all kinds of rumors circulating that on Friday night we'd go back into lockdown after around 3 days of 'fake freedom'.  That night ended up being a false alarm.   Many of us had asked the guard at the compound, "Are we going back into lockdown tonight?"  

His answer was clever.   "Tonight, no lockdown.  Tomorrow, I don't know."  It was the usual kind of cop-out response that meant he could cover his butt regardless of what happened.  

The dreaded bullhorn came on at 12:30am the next day (early Friday) and woke the whole neighborhood to announce there was a lockdown happening right now as of this minute.  This was akin to some sort of a wartime emergency measure where the sirens go off.  Nobody really got any sleep after that as we were all pissed and extremely anxious about what this would mean. 

Later in the morning, whoever was responsible for this decision ended up reversing it.  We found this out by seeing people move in and out of the gates.  So that day there in fact was not a lockdown.  

But the next night there really was, and this time it was announced in advance on electronic communication as well as the bullhorn.  We knew it was for real because they also announced another round of covid tests the next day (Saturday)

Heart 0 Comment 0

A setback to be sure.  So here I was back in the compound doing laps with the bike again.  I managed 35 laps.  Strangely, nobody batted an eye when they saw me do this.   This time I wanted to improve my camera skills and find new things to take pictures of.  

Let the laps begin
Heart 0 Comment 0
What's behind door number 4?
Heart 0 Comment 0
You're riding in circles, so am I
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This private primary school is right in the middle of our compound
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is another school, this time a bilingual school
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dozens of laps just like this
Heart 0 Comment 0

Even so, with every mindless bit of turning around, I was reminded in glimpses of all the past cycle tours I had done in all their glory:   Leh India, Eastern Tibet, Yala Thailand, Mt Bromo Indonesia, Angeles in the Philippines, the highlands of Laos, out of Yangon Myanmar, and not to mention the countless rides around Thailand.

By then I just got angry.  Here I was now reduced to pedaling around a compound like a caged animal.  

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 20 km (12 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Andrea BrownI must say, seeing an actual lock on your gates makes me really anxious. Suppose there was a fire or some other emergency?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fit SteveThat is one of the side gates. The main one isn't locked this way, but is guarded. Vehicles could go in and out for essential reasons
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so sorry to see you locked up again, but thank you for this reporting. It really humanizes a situation we can barely imagine.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltFrussstraaatinnng! But there is reason... Like mom said, "Go outside and get some fresh air and exercise."

Keep on keeping on. Like mom said when I swallowed a nickel, "This too shall pass."
Reply to this comment
2 years ago