Last Ride Before Lockdown - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2022

Last Ride Before Lockdown

There was a short window of time when I could get on that bike in the afternoon, hit the last fitness class of the day, and do some last minute stocking up on items.

Vegetables are luxury commodities these days. I'm not telling you where I bought this stash
Heart 1 Comment 0
People cramming grocery stores big and small all over the city for days
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interestingly enough they're not going for wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Empty streets in the busiest part of the city
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the last remaining holdouts, it was slam packed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last coffee. Might as well enjoy it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Got some last minute milk. The store was empty. It was well past the previous mad scramble in there as the grocery store was going to close in a few minutes anyway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's feeling apocalyptic now
Heart 3 Comment 0

After procuring all the last minute supplies, it was time for an amazing last minute group fitness class.  They even helped supply me a yoga mat to take home during the lockdown.  Great guys for sure.

Last group fitness class before the lockdown
Heart 2 Comment 0

After that, a last minute stop at the bank for some emergency cash to transfer to an emergency Chinese bank account and that was that.  All the stores were closed at 7pm including the Family Mart convenience stores and basically everything else.  That was it.  The feeling became more and more apocalyptic as the afternoon and evening approached and more and more shops were shuttering their doors.  The rain started, it was cold, it was dark, it was eerie.

I slithered back into the compound a few hours before midnight and parked the bike underground, ready to settle into a jailed existence.

Eerie apocalyptic feel on the streets. It's only 7pm, this street right outside my house is normally jammed.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Putting the bicycle to rest for awhile. It shall return.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 87 km (54 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0