Damage: Neighbor Suicide Aftermath - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2022

Damage: Neighbor Suicide Aftermath

I woke up to the sound of a neighbor going absolutely berserck.  He was raving mad, walking up and down the compound and stopping periodically to shout high up at what looked like a rooftop of an adjacent compound.  My first thought was that someone else was about to commit suicide.  

People everywhere were standing around and watching this guy rant and rave but I couldn't see anyone high up on the roof about to jump off from towards where he was shouting.

Recall that the father of a family in building #34 next door to us actually killed himself in mid-April at the height of the lockdown insanity and when food shortages were at their worst.  The wife wailed for hours while the police conducted the investigation that day.  The father's body was taken out later in the afternoon, and aside from the usual funeral-type rituals the neighbors did a month or so later, we never heard any more about this.

Until today.

The angry man raving and roving was the son of that father.  His mother joined in the screaming.  They picked today to get maximum attention as it was our turn for mass compound PCR test screening.  Aside:  they lied that the last one was really the last mass testing.  He was yelling towards the location of where the top compound management leader lives, and saying, "Get your ass down here right now and talk to us!   You have done nothing to apologize for what happened during this lockdown.  My father died and you said nothing, you didn't meet with us, you didn't offer any compensation.  And then you locked us all in green cages for a month.  We demand compensation for this, and we want you to call your superiors!"   For the most part his mask was on but he eventually took it off and yelled full fury.

Heart 0 Comment 0

He also yelled at the people in the white hazmat suits conducting the PCR screening and demanded, "Call the government hotline!  How hard can it be?".  He then fake-pretended to do a covid test but put down the vial and yelled at all of us watching.  He told us, "Don't do a covid test!  It's pointless anyway. Help us all get compensation for what happened!". 

I started to get worried because this all had potential to send our compound back into a 14+ day lockdown.  I wasn't sure whether to feel sorry for this guy or to blame him.  It was a like a vicious cycle.  His refusal to play by the rules caused the extended compound lockdown and made it worse for everyone including his family.  But the rules were dictated to him from people who had no interest in his well-being, and since he had no say in the rules, he didn't believe any benefit would happen if he followed them.  

Later the police came and they were already familiar with this case.  It then became rather obvious that his case was by no means unique.  There must be hundreds if not thousands of people demanding compensation from the authorities who never apologized to the public for the last 3 months.  Moreover, the public has just about zero confidence in the government that something like what happened isn't going to happen again.

Not much happened on today's ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 19 km (12 miles)
Total: 161 km (100 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0