Portage - Autumn Soujourn in Colorado - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2021

Portage

Today was the day we portaged around the closed bike path in Glenwood canyon. But first we had to load up Kelly’s van, which turned out to be a mini-van. But with some trial and error we found a way with 2 bikes and 2 humans in the van with the luggage, and 1 bike outside. Complications included (in no particular order): 1) We brought too much stuff; 2) Kelly rides a long wheel-base recumbent; 3) We could not fit our two touring bikes on the outside rack (it was designed for two skinny little racing bikes, not rugged steeds like our’s.) But we made it work with a little creative effort. 

There is a little bit of room in the back for Kelly’s gear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enough room to close the door
Heart 0 Comment 0

So…after stalling around a bit in Glenwood, including being sure the motel was OK with us leaving our car there, (we left it in front of the doggie potty area,) we headed off to Eagle. Kelly is coming later with Jacinto so we can have dinner together. Also we probably cannot fit all 3 of us in the van with the bikes and gear unless we disassembled at least 1 bike. Sadly, Jacinto is working and so will not be riding with us this trip. 

There was a very long section in the canyon where crews are working diligently to clear areas of slide. They have done well to clear the Interstate but in at least a few areas the bike path is still under rubble or under water. Our pics through the van window do not do justice to the immensity of the slides. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The scenery in Glenwood Canyon is beautiful in any case. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Eagle a bit too early to check in so we walked around, checked out a bike path to take out of town and grabbed an early lunch. Tomorrow the riding resumes…

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0