Into Thin Air - Autumn Soujourn in Colorado - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2021

Into Thin Air

Vail Pass

We all walked to the Little Diner for a full eggs/potato/meat breakfast and we managed to get there without getting lost! And they were open! And the food was good-a great start to the day. 

Today Kelly and Jim are climbing Vail Pass while Genny (me) is the designated driver.  I saw them off and then got another cup of coffee from the hotel lobby and walked around Vail a bit more before taking off. Then I drove up to the top of the pass and parked in a rest stop to await the arrival of the riders at the summit. While waiting I was walking around a bit and at 10,666 ft., I found myself gut-wrenchingly winded if I wasn’t careful; possibly a portend of what is to come tomorrow as Kelly and I climb Hoosier Pass (11,542.) I’m scared!

Highlights of climb per Jim: It was a chilly start and a easy ride to the end of Hwy 6 where he and Kelly joined the bike path. There was a short but very steep section here-a passing local commented that it was the steepest section. The path was smooth and well-maintained and looked like the first half was graded as an extension of Hwy 6 before that project was apparently abandoned. At one point a tree had fallen across the path but it was easily navigated. The grade was a  steady 5-6% for the first half of the climb but then dove steeply under the Interstate and climbed up at about 10-11% for 100 feet-at altitude this was enough to put both Jim and Kelly into the red zone. (When I met them at the summit, both Kelly and Jim mentioned how hard this section was, harder than the short incline at the bottom of the bike path, contrary to what the local said.) Jim noted that the Aspens were changing color more vibrantly as he got higher but at some point they disappeared and only evergreens were growing. The downhill on the bike path had a maximum speed limit of 25 mph, and it was curvy enough that it was reasonable. 

While Kelly and Jim were riding down from the summit to Frisco, I drove down and checked us into Hotel Frisco, our abode for the night. And then spent about 15 minutes schlepping all our copious luggage and my bike into the room. (I am setting a high standard for the SAG driver.) 

Hotel Frisco is a cute, kind of artsy hotel in a cute, touristy town full of cute shops, restaurants, and unmasked tourists. We ate a light lunch in a cute Italian bistro, then walked up and down the crowded Main St. drag. Kelly went back to her room but mentioned a yearning for fudge and, of course, we came across a cute little sweets shop that we exited with chocolate/walnut fudge (for Kelly), chocolate/mint and cookies and cream fudge for Jim and maple nut for me. 

Tonight we are going to try the 5th St. Grill for dinner but we are looking forward to fueling up tomorrow morning at the Butterhorn cafe before our assault on Hoosier. 

Leaving Vail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the crisp, sunny morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Navigating an obstacle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aspen tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Summit!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frisco-at town so cute the pavement is painted with cute colors.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 119 miles (192 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0