Even Better! - Autumn Soujourn in Colorado - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2021

Even Better!

Crested Butte to Paonia

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today is Kebler pass and that includes 20+ miles of dirt road about which we have heard varying reports. One report from an experienced touring cyclist who rode it a few weeks ago was that the road was dusty, wash-board and unrideable in parts. Another report by a driver who came over the pass last week was that it wasn’t too bad and was recently treated with mag-chloride. We knew there would be traffic since it is Sunday and all the leaf-peepers, (which includes us I guess,) are here. 

The day started with early breakfast at Paradise Cafe. It was yummy and served by the young, skinny women sporting lots of ink and piercings that seem to be ubiquitous to Crested Butte. The weather was cold initially-31 at 6:30, 39 at 7:00 as we walked to breakfast, and 46 at 9:00 as we all got started.  

Yes, we all started out together. Jim and Kelly are doing the full ride to Paonia and I am going to ride to the top of Kebler pass and then back to the van to Sherpa the luggage (and also act as SAG support as necessary.)

We rode about 4 blocks to get out of town on Hwy 12 and then the road turned upward with a short, sharp 8-9% grade that had us all out of breath quickly (remember we are over 8900 ft here.)  Then the grade leveled off to a civilized 2-4% for most of the rest of the climb. It is a 7 mile climb and a portion in the middle is unpaved (or poorly paved or, well it looked like pocked, crumbling asphalt that was covered with dirt and then treated with mag-chloride.) Very little gravel but bumpy. All in all it really wasn’t any worse that some roads back home. 

We hit the Fall colors at the perfect time here! Around every corner the views were stupendous. Our pictures do not do it justice really.  The traffic was heavy with leaf peepers and cars were stopping at every turnout to gaze and take photos. 

At the top we took a group selfie but there was no pass sign with which to pose. I then turned around and did a swift descent back to the van while Jim and Kelly started the long, long descent to Paonia on the other side of the pass. 

Per Jim, the road became hard-packed dirt again shortly after the summit and that continued for over 20 miles. It was rideable though, but tedious since it was rough and one had to be watching out for loose gravel and ruts and rocks. The traffic threw up dust as well. However the scenery made it all worth it. 

Once I caught up and passed Jim and Kelly while driving, I stopped at the next turnout and provided extra water and snacks. Then I headed to Paonia. I was a bit dismayed with the last 16 miles to the Redwood Arms motel, since Kelly and I will be retracing these on the way over McClure pass. They are rolling with several steep spots. And they are just a prelude to the pass. 

At the motel I checked in and schlepped luggage, showered, ate a snack and was writing this journal when Jim, fully embracing the concept of SAG support, texted me that he was a mile out with a flat and to please pick him up. Kelly rode the rest of the way though. 

Our motel is way out on the highway-convenient to find but not convenient for food, so we will be driving into town for dinner and breakfast. Tomorrow promises to be a long day, most of it spent climbing McClure pass, (it’s 34 miles, all uphill, albeit some gradual, to the top of the pass,) with a shorter descent to Redstone. 

Image not found :(
Ascending Kebler pass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kebler pass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Summit photo-Kebler pass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Aspen grove on Kebler pass
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kebler pass
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jim enjoying a refreshment on Kebler pass
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kelly on the descent of Kebler pass
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 313 miles (504 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice to get two versions of this day. What an incredible ride!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago