Delta, Utah to Glenwood Spring, CO - Autumn Soujourn in Colorado - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2021

Delta, Utah to Glenwood Spring, CO

A view outside the car window today.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ellen WalkerLove reading about your adventures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our last day of this initial driving period. Not too much to report though. The “breakfast” at the Days Inn was virtually non-existant, so we ate leftovers (Kelly’s hubby, Jacinto, would be so proud!) and then we stopped about 100 miles down the road in Green River for 2nd breakfast. Then it was a straight and fast shot to Glenwood Springs. The speed limit was 80 mph for most of the way. The buttes and red rock scenery were awe-inspiring. 

Following Kelly’s recommendation, we checked into the Silver Spruce lodge. The room is large, clean, has in-room coffee and ice is available and plentiful. They have some sort of included breakfast but we’re not counting on too much. We’ll be here 3 nights while we do minor bike revisions and start altitude acclimation via some short rides and hikes. 

(As an aside, we have not seen a single person in a face mask in all of Utah and so far, here in Colorado.)

Jim spent the rest of the afternoon attaching fenders on our bikes and re-installing our freshly waxed chains. This involved a lot of expletives since my fenders required adjustment due to a change in both wheel and tire side. 

After he finished with the bikes, we walked around Glenwood a bit. In the 12 years since we were last here, the town has gotten much more touristy and the traffic is seriously terrible. Kelly says most of the traffic is commuters from Aspen and Snowmass where it is too expensive for them to live. We did see about 4 people wearing masks around town and all the restaurants had posting that they are following Covid protocols with regards to hygiene and social distancing. However the restaurants and bars looked pretty full of unmasked guests so we elected to eat outside at the Riviera Dinner Club and we had an excellent meal there. 

More beautiful country dead ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At 80, it went by fast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kelly IniguezLast night's news said that all of Colorado is in the red for COVID and that Boulder has enacted a mask mandate again and that Pitkin County (Aspen) is considering it.

Governor Polis (D) got so much flak for his COVID protocols (maybe he and Newsom could commiserate), that I think things would have to be much, much worse before anything comes down from the state level.

I am surprised that you didn't see more masks around Glenwood - I haven't been in Glenwood proper, except hiking, for months. I had expected the tourist town would be more cautious.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago