Best Colors of All - Autumn Soujourn in Colorado - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2021

Best Colors of All

Taylor Park Trading Post to Crested Butte

We saw beautiful color close to the road on the way to Almont.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Taylor Park reservoir
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was quite chilly as we woke up today-ice on the van. We plan to stop in Almont 23 miles down the road) for brunch (or second breakfast) so we ate sparingly. Kelly and I dressed warmly, anticipating a cold ride down the Taylor river canyon to Almont. 

The ride was almost all downhill and very cold-I stopped after a few miles to add Gortex mitts over my gloves as my hands felt like blocks of ice. 

However, the beauty of the ride compensated for the cold. The river canyon was verdant and the Aspen colors were in full display. All along the river were fishermen and women in waders in the water-I bet they were cold. We crossed several cattle guards and there was signage and “other evidence” of cattle activity in the area. 

Once we were through the canyon, a valley full of ranches opened up around us. 

A pretty little valley along the Taylor river
Heart 3 Comment 0
She struck a pose as I went by and Kelly shot this portrait
Heart 2 Comment 0

Jim met us at the Almont Resort and Restaurant for brunch. The food was good; the service less so. Like almost every place we’ve been, they were short-staffed. 

After eating Jim drove on in to Crested Butte and Kelly and I rode the rest of the way. While our first 23 miles today were almost exclusively downhill, the remaining 17 miles consisted of a gradual uphill. On the surrounding ridges, we could see large swathes of Aspens in their Fall splendor. The views were glorious and the riding quite easy until the last 8 miles before town, when we encountered a fairly strong (12-15 mph by my estimate) headwind, which definitely took some of the fun away. 

Jim and I decided years ago that when riding at altitude, for every 1000 feet over 7000, the grade feels about 1% steeper than it is. So as I am riding along bucking the headwind, with a grade of 2%, at an elevation between 8300 and 8800, I think the headwind added yet another 2% in perceived difficulty. So it felt much like a 5-6% climb. So the last 8 miles took a bit longer than expected. 

But Kelly and I finally made to town and Jim was out in front of The Old Town Hotel, all checked in, with all the luggage unloaded, like a good Sherpa. 

Once I cleaned up, Jim and I walked through town. Crested Butte definitely has a bohemian vibe to it. Lots of young people, most with dogs in tow, shops full of artisan products, organic groceries and health food. No masks evident, similar to other tourist areas we have visited. The town is crowded-there is a film festival and an Artwalk this weekend. Jim says, “Way too crowded” for him. 

Tomorrow Kelly and Jim will ride to Peonia over Kebler pass. Much of this route is gravel. I purposely traded to drive this section because of my hand injury. However, I might ride out to the top of the pass and then back to the van before acting as the Sherpa du jour. 

Someone’s little slice of Heaven among the Aspens
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fall color on the road to Crested Butte
Heart 1 Comment 0
More stunning color on the road to Crested Butte. If you look closely, you can see a flag blowing directed against us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cool sculpture on outskirts of Crested Butte
Heart 1 Comment 0



Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 265 miles (426 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0