Day 5 - Log Entry - Fortescue to Egg Harbor City - On Patrol NJ - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2020

Day 5 - Log Entry - Fortescue to Egg Harbor City

Fortescue to Egg Harbor City

Day 5 - After a great evening exploring Fortescue - a small fishing village on the beautiful Bayside of southern NJ, we set out to make a run for Parvin State Park.   With a wet forecast prompted by the remants of Hurricane Sally heading our way, we adjusted the route of our final destination to Egg Harbor City.

Before departing we stopped by to see Betty and the gang at Higbee's Marina on Fortescue.  We met Betty when we arrived in Fortescue the day before.  Her family has lived there forever.  Betty even wrote a book about the place and the beautiful lighthouses on the area. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Betty was talking to us through the  window because of Covid.  What a hoot Betty was.  Our first encounter with her was when she yelled at Bill to get out of a shed that was on the dock across from her house.  Bill was only trying to charge his phone.  Anyway, he apologized and they became best friends.  

So nice meeting people like this....

Heart 2 Comment 2
Daniel SpanglerWow! This is a great shot!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThat was an easy one with the phone.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

I bought  a few historic postcards from Betty and we headed out across the isolated flatlands and then the Pine Barrens to Egg Harbor.  

A great tour with a friend.  Thank you for joining us. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Daniel SpanglerThe tent shot is so neat. Wow man. What a great summer tour.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 201 miles (323 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Chris CookeI am retired Coast Guard was stationed in Fortescue during the summers of 67,68,69 & 71. I have known Betty from my arrival in Fortescue and have stopped to visit a few times over the years. You cannot find a nicer person.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerHi there! Thanks for looking at the Journal. Bill and I wish we could have stayed there a day more, but.... Nancy was so out going and friendly.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks for sharing your tour, Keith. We enjoyed following along with you. Here's to making it to the Pacific Northwest in 2021!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago