Day 5 Meningie to Salt Creek - Adelaide to Melbourne - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2009

Day 5 Meningie to Salt Creek

Before leaving Meningie we had to wait until 9AM for the Post office to open so I could send home a parcel of clothing which I had decided were surplus to requirements.
The morning was overcast with showers and the wind had now turned south south west which meant that we had a head wind for the 60km run down to Salt Creek, our next camp site. The wind became stronger during the morning and there were frequent heavy showers. At Salt creek the wind was so strong that I had fit additional guy ropes to my Caddis tunnel tent. This type of tent only requires additional guys in extreme weather conditions. That evening was the only night of the trip that we did not cook our evening meals, as we ate out at the roadhouse.
This place is on the edge of the Coorong, a series of lakes which run from the Murray Mouth, separated by coastal sand dunes from the sea and extending about 90km to Kingston SE.It is an extremely popular fishing area and the walls of the cafe are covered with photographs of fishermen with their catches.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 335 km (208 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0