Day 14 Torquay to Mornington - Adelaide to Melbourne - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2009

Day 14 Torquay to Mornington

Morning commuter traffic was busy along the main Geelong road and we were relieved when we were able to turn off onto the road to Barwon Heads and Ocean Grove. Cadel Evans has a home at Barwon Heads and spends most Christmases here. We had a food stop at Ocean Grove then continued to the ferry at Queenscliff. Naturally the ferry was just leaving as we arrived so we had a fifty five minute wait for the next one and as the crossing took nearly an hour it meant a two hour break from riding.

At Dromana we stopped for a cuppa at the beach house owned by family friends of Mike P before the final climb of the day up to Mornington. At Mount Martha the road dropped into a tunnel beneath a canal leading to the new marina. The climb out of the tunnel was quite steep requiring the use of my granny gear for the last time on the trip. The road to Mornington was quite narrow and there was a lot of traffic so we had to take care. I expected a caravan park at Mornington overlooking the sea but in fact the only one in Mornington was inland about one km across the Nepean Highway. The park was nothing special but the price was, $34. Good thing that this was the last night.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Mike P waiting for the ferry to depart. The shed on the end of the jetty in the background used to house the Queenscliff Lifeboat
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 1,184 km (735 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0