Day 12 Princetown to Apollo Bay - Adelaide to Melbourne - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2009

Day 12 Princetown to Apollo Bay

Lavers Hill at last. The first ten km from Princetown were undulating then we started climbing. Steep sections followed by level stretches and downhills as we crossed each gully then we climbed again. Once more it was cold raining and windy. After a further twenty km we finally arrived at Lavers Hill where I demolished a Devonshire Tea and Mike P demolished a stack of pancakes. We enjoyed a nice descent fron Lavers Hill but it was still cold and wet. Thr road became flat around Glen Aire until we reached Hordern Vale where we started the second big climb of the day, only about half the length of Lavers Hill but steeper. We both walked sections of this climb. The weather started to improve until we reached the start of the descent into Marengo where we encountered brilliant sunshine but the cold southerly continued. From Marengo the road was flat for the 4km run into Apollo Bay, our next stop. The caravan park here had one of the best camp kitchens that we found on the trip, the builders still applying the finishing touches to it.

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 1,002 km (622 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0