Yachats to Florence, Oregon: World Fails to End - Grampies Go Coastal Winter 2012 - CycleBlaze

December 21, 2012

Yachats to Florence, Oregon: World Fails to End

Not only did the world not end today as predicted, but with a bit of sun or at least no rain, our own little world seemed pretty rosy. For a humorous look at the world not endiing, check out this bit from Beyond the Fringe.

Although the whole Oregon coast is spectacular, people often mention the bit between Yachats and Florence as the most attractive. We don't know if we exactly agree, but it sure was lovely. There are also two tourist type attractions along the way. The first is the Devil's Churn, which is a small rocky inlet where the water swirls and is completely milky. When just the right wave enters the rocks, there is also an explosion of spray.

The second attraction is an " official" one, the Sea Lion Caves. This is apparently one or more sea caves in which sea lions hang out. The caves are below a cliff, where the tourist attraction controls access and will sell you fudge, trinkets, and a $12 per adult ticket. Sea Lion Caves has been there for ever, and has a quite large parking lot, reflecting its popularity. On the other hand we know that further down the California coast the sea lions will lie out in plain sight, for free!

Just out of Yachats, a house in a dramatic position by the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Devil's Churn wayside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Devil's Churn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea Lion Caves is a venerable tourist trap.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hills along this stretch did not give us much trouble, but there is a tunnel to deal with at Heceta Head. This really has no shoulder at all, and we were glad not to meet any semi-trailers inside it.

The Heceta tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heceta lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On unexpected attraction was a trailer with one of the not uncommon chainsaw carving practitioners. Chainsaw carving is a bone fide part of the culture along the coast, including all the way back to where we live.

Chainsaw wizard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More chainsaw art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rainbow at sea!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scenic seaside road. Amazingly there are thousands of kilometers of this!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Florence is first town at the head of the Oregon Dunes area. We got a good view of the beginning of the dunes while still up on the slopes of Heceta Head. Tomorrow we will really be right in the thick of them.

Our first view of the Oregon dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Florence, unless we missed something major, is like other towns here mainly a strip along Hwy 101. Even though it was early, we judged it too far to reach the next concentration of motels. So we stopped in at a few, some of which we had researched on the internet, and some not. Prices here range from $50 to $116. In two cases operators were demanding 20-40% more than the prices cited on their websites or booking.com. The reasons given were variously "to get the internet price you need to book online" or " It's Christmas and the weekend (so tough)."

Not too pleased with these types of responses, we carried on, across the Suislaw River bridge, and finally settled in the last motel before the gap to the next town. Still it was early, and we spent our time watching Apocalypse specials on the TV. Finally, " The Zombie Apocalypse" threatened to turn our brains to pudding, so we switched to the tenth viewing of Miracle on 34th Street. Now that may be fiction as well, but at least it's a quality production!

On the bridge over the Suislaw. The pylons have "ghostbusters" style decorations. This bridge was built in 1936.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 754 km (468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0