Pacific City to Lincoln City, Oregon: Rained Out - Grampies Go Coastal Winter 2012 - CycleBlaze

December 16, 2012

Pacific City to Lincoln City, Oregon: Rained Out

Cold and rain are what we expect on the coast in December. Still the question remains about how much our gear can withstand over a period of how many hours. Since today as expected came with wind and rain, we suited up to be prepared as possible. That meant such things as having beanies and rain jacket hoods under our helmets, rain pants, rain booties, and in Dodie's case plastic bags under the booties. It also means zipping up your stuff at the throat as much as possible, and making sure zippered pockets and pit zips are closed.

Despite these precautions, after just three hours in the wind driven rain we found that our hands were freezing in saturated gloves, and Dodie's feet were cold. So when we pulled into Lincoln City we found the sign at the Ashley Inn particularly interesting. $39.99, it said, free hot breakfast, pool, sauna, hot tub, high speed internet.

The hour was before 11 a.m., but we said let's talk to them anyway. Sure, they said, bring your bikes in the room, have some free muffins, watch a free video, take some pop and popcorn. Meanwhile, outside, the wind was at 50 kph with gusts to 100 kph. Our choice was pretty clear.

Once we took off our parkas, we found that water had forced in at the throat, and anywhere else there was a zipper. We were not soaked underneath, just wet. The gloves - have now been in the dryer for an hour - still damp.

The weather forecast for the Oregon coast is for similar strong winds at least for tomorrow, and rain for the next week at least. When we take this in combination with the location of the big hills and the location of towns, it seems like 40k days are all that 's on the menu for a while.

The room here, anyway, is the best we have been in so far, and I am sitting at a granite topped table by a window, writing this. As I write, the wind is actually howling outside, and the staff says they have closed a wing of this quite new building, because water is being forced through the windows. I guess in that sense our Eddie Bauer jackets did ok.

Have a look at that weather forecast. By the way, those winds are headwinds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the area we are cycling, today and tomorrow. Note the big hill we came over before Lincoln City. Also, for some reason I am afraid to ask, Dodie notes that we will soon be half way to the equator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At 5 p.m. here is what it looks like outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
TV News warns of the biggest storm of the year. We think since we are holed up, we will stay put tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 618 km (384 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0