Lompoc to Goleta, California - Grampies Go Coastal Winter 2012 - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2013

Lompoc to Goleta, California

The landscape beyond Lompoc was much different from what came before. Here we found a ranch country, with mostly grass covered small mountains. Unlike western Montana, which it resembles, this place is a soft green rather than a soft yellow. The hillsides at first were rocky, with exposed strata and quartz in the stone, but later seemed to be mostly sandy.

The ranch country beyond Lompoc
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hills have interesting strata
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful country
Heart 0 Comment 0
The typical cattle of these ranches
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road, highway1, rose in very long and fairly gentle slopes, for twenty or thirty kilometers. Finally, it joined 101, and together they plunged out of the mountains and to the sea at Gaviota State Park. We could then cruise along the sea coast on 101. Though it is a freeway here, the shoulder is wide and protected by a rumble strip. In the distance we could see the Channel Islands, and nearby - just by the shore - the Amtrak track. This is the very line we will be on when in time we set off back to the frozen north.

Leaving the mountains and headig for the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amtrak rail by the water - our ticket home when the time comes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pacific Coast Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the border of Goleta city, bicycles must leave 101 and proceed along a smaller but still large and busy roadway. Still, there is a bike lane, so all is well.

It was along this way that we encountered the Goleta Monarch butterfly grove. The day was drawing to as close and we knew we still had a ways to go before reaching any sort of accommodation. But how often do you see a butterfly grove. (Ok, based on recent experience, it's every day!). A little spoiled by Pismo Beach, we rather expected the butterflies to be right there. Both the on site maps and the people around seemed to indicate that it was just a "short" walk. We set off, and soon found ourselves in a bit of a maze of dirt pathways. We followed little butterfly signposts deeper into the park, and did eventually reach the trees. Unfortunately it was now late enough in the day that the butterflies were fully clustered. Only one had yet to join its friends, so there was a chance for one quick photo.

The bridge to the butterflies
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly watchers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly clusters
Heart 0 Comment 0
One monarch not yet in bed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lost in the park
Heart 0 Comment 0

We set off back to the road, but soon got lost. It was a while before we actually made it out. The walk in the park was worth it, but now time was short with evening falling quickly. The GPS took us to the nearest motel, a Motel 6. At $78 total, it was costly for what you get. We have the feeling that this is the general price level we will find in the Los Angeles area, but of course, we will see.

We think we are now past the last of the major hills for this tour, and in fact we have not even been rained on while cycling in California. So it could be a cake walk down to Mexico. Or not. We are looking forward to see what happens next!

The mountains we left, in the evening sun
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 1,979 km (1,229 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0