Gold Beach, Oregon - Grampies Go Coastal Winter 2012 - CycleBlaze

December 25, 2012

Gold Beach, Oregon

The storm arrived early this morning on schedule. It was quite remarkable to watch a river of water being driven by wind across the parking lot. We are feeling smug, of course, because we did today's cycling in the sun, yesterday.

From our window we can see the high waves on the beach. They look great for surfing, if anyone is interested!

Remarkably, even out here Santa Claus found a way to bringg chocolate. I understand his helper elf had been carrying it for days.

We were able to connect (more or less) with Skype to Avi and Violet and Laurie, out in Montana. It made the day feel right, to at least be with two grandchildren for a little while. Violet is entranced with her new unicorn and crawl in cardboard castle, while Avi is still fascinated by the Android tablet acquired two months ago.

We took some time for a closer look at how the bikes are faring, after almost 1000 km in the rain. Things that would be easy to fix up are more or less impossible to deal with in a motel. But, under cover just outside, we tried cleaning grunge encrusted rims, lubricating a sticky brake cable, changing some brake pads, checking tire pressure, and repairing yesterday's punctured tube. We still need more brake pads, a brake cable, and an expert opinion about deep grooves in at least one rim. There are no bike shops in this town, so any concerns will have to wait until Brookings or Crescent City perhaps.

Santa was here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Violet and the Unicorn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avi and the Tablet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The air is filled with rain and wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surf's up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
1000 km in the rain. How do you Bike Fridays feel today?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before 5 we strolled over to Spinners, a restaurant we had discovered when we came through Gold Beach on our van tour last Spring. Spinners was offering Christmas dinner and they did not disappoint. We found the meal to be full on homemade quality. Only thing, our plates were piled much higher than we would have done at home. Of course, we felt honour bound to eat all they put in front of us. It was a sorry pair that slowly trudged back to our room, too full to walk properly. Oh well, tomorrow it's back to crackers.

Pesr salad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turkey and mashed potatoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sort of what they used to call lava cake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0