Amtrak North: Life is easy in the Parlour Car - Grampies Go Coastal Winter 2012 - CycleBlaze

January 23, 2013

Amtrak North: Life is easy in the Parlour Car

We are speeding North, and now around 1:30 have passed Eugene, the birthplace of our Fridays. Stepping off the train for a few seconds, I got blasted by cold rain. It was a bit shocking, but something we've experienced other times when coming home in Winter, from the South. You get so used to it being shorts and t-shirt time that it is hard to believe anywhere could be so rude as to rain on you! Hmppphh.

All I could do, then, was to retreat to our 1956 vintage Parlour Car and get ready for today's wine and cheese party. How quickly the intrepid explorers turn into total wussies!

Snow. But this is somewhere near Crater Lake, so ok.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eugene cold rain. Yeccchh.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train arrived in Seattle after a slight delay caused by hitting a pickup truck. We understand the truck was unoccupied!

On the platform we observed baggage handlers dropping our bikes from a height of a foot or two. I strolled over to ask them to take it easy, but only got shouted at. We left the bikes to their tender ministrations, and will only collect the remnants tomorrow, when we try to negotiate them on to the Amtrack Cascades to Vancouver.

Just outside the station we were accosted by several people asking for food, assistance in finding a shelter, etc. We feel sorry for them, but at the moment were more concerned in getting our bearings.

The GPS led us several blocks to the Panama Hotel, the closest hotel to the station. When I had made the reservation they dubbed themselves a heritage hotel of three stars. I was asking because of a non-attraction to any downtown flophouse concept. Now that we are here I would strongly say that the place long ago crossed any line between old-heritage and old-decrepit. Oh well, in seven hours we will be back on the street and soon hopefully reunited with our bikes and on our way to Canada and home!

The streets of Seattle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three star hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three star restroom
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0