Everything Came Together - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2013

Everything Came Together

Everything came together by the end of today. But that's not how it started. It started with a drive into our nearby town of Duncan, to our bike shop - Experience Cycling. It was an early morning drive, because it was not totally certain that they could find the parts to rebuild Dodie's wheel so it would fit her frame. But, by 10 a.m. they had it done, and we were back in business.

Oh, except that Sandra was still in Victoria looking for the tire we needed. She found it, but did not get back until 6. Meanwhile, Dodie looked into ways to defend our bikes against the gorillas normally employed by airlines to destroy your stuff.

The art of bicycle defence.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although our airline, Air Transat, advertises that they supply bike bags at the counter, we had visited a mattress store and obtained very heavy duty plastic bags. Being of course mattress sized, they were very big. So a tailoring job was in order.

Seamstress tailors a mattress bag for Bike Fridays
Heart 0 Comment 0

Slowly our gear disappeared into our duffel bags, and the bikes got mummified in plastic.

Marius says: "How many Germans does it take to wrap a bike?" The answer was clearly as many as we could find!
Heart 0 Comment 0

When Sandra got back, the tire got zapped on like in the Indy 500, and then it was all over. We were ready to go! Oh, except for the other list - the one that says do the laundry, write a bunch of letters, turn off the water here, and turn on the water there, etc. etc.

It all came together.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The fact that I am writing this right now means of course that the item "write blog entry" is still not done. But after that it's sweet dreams, the last time on our comfy bed. Soon we will be out there, testing out our Thermarest Neoairs, seeing if they really have any danish in Denmark, etc., etc.

Here we go!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0