Day 86: Amsterdam, Netherlands to Cobble Hill, Canada - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2013

Day 86: Amsterdam, Netherlands to Cobble Hill, Canada

Pedalling our last 10 km, from the camping to Schiphol Terminal 3 could have been a bit sad or nostalgic, or we could have had enough, and be glad of just 10 kms left to do. In fact, it did not turn out to be quite like any of that. The fact is, we are stronger, fitter, than when we started. If we had been setting out this morning for another 1000 or 2000 km, it would have been fine. So on these 10 km what I mainly was thinking is how much darn fun this is, and how good it feels to propel an overloaded (packing materials, duffel bags, and gifts and souvenirs that we failed to mail back) bike with a broken derailleur (haven't actually mentioned that yet) with little or no strain. I was thinking it's a waste to just be hitting our stride after 5000 km and now to be out of time.

The big compensation in going home, of course, is the chance to again see our friends and family. Avi and Violet and Amelia and Evelyn will have grown tremendously in three months, so reconnecting with them is very important.

The kitchen at Amsterdam Camping. One last coffee and we are off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overloaded but headed for home. Yesterday the rear derailleur gave up, maybe a snapped cable. We have not had time to really look at it. So anyway, this is now a real Dutch bike, with essentially one speed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For once, we did not get lost. Our dry run on Thursday paid off, and we glided through the terminal doors, up the escalator, and to the quiet corner we had preselected for transforming ourselves from crazy guys on bikes to air passengers with a compact stack of luggage in the right weight and configuration.

At first it looked like a mess, and it did take over two hours to achieve, but it happened.

Their word for our baggage. At least it is no longer quite us who are overweight or out of shape!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Amsterdam airport is a little different from others in that duty free precedes security, and is not clearly designated duty free. So first you pass border control, then a large (duty free) shopping area, then security. It's a slight glitch, but it means they scan your bording pass when you buy something, and if you buy a banned substance, like bottled water, you will lose it at security. There is nothing for sale on the other side of security.

Shockingly, many of our favourite tourist items (that we had seen downtown) were also on sale at the airport. That included good cheese, chocolate, stroop waffles, and a bakery. No real need to actually visit the city, I guess!

Started by making a mess
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad policy to punch out Security!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This time staff were very laid back about the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Duty free. Prices are about the same as downtown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah, but these are not approved for import to North America
Heart 0 Comment 0
Choose your poison. In North America this combo store could be liquor and guns.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is being written on tbe plane, and the whole thing - The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, our old friends in Markranstadt, Ste Luce and Katwijk, all the new friends we made, all the bakeries we found, does not quite feel like just a dream yet. Maybe soon it will, but this blog will help bring it to life in future.

The blog, by the way, is not quite over. First we have to actually land, and actually be found by Sandra and Marius. But beyond that, watch for reviews of gear that made it and gear that did not. And watch for renewed impressions of Netherlands and a summary of the European cycle. All coming soon.

ALSO, EARLY IN THE NEW YEAR, watch for the inauguration of GRAMPIES GO SOUTH, as we tackle the grueling "Southern Tier", Key West,Florida to San Diego, California!

The bikes made it through undamaged. Plastic bags have now worked twice for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our friends Sandra and Marius came all the way to Vancouver to spare us the dangerous ride home. (Marius is not in this photo, he is bringing the van around).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marius drove the van. After 9 hours on the plane I was in no condition to drive anything.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vancouver, looking a little worse for wear (but not Sandra!)
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the ferry lineup, proof we really are back in Canada!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 5,648 km (3,507 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0