Day 71: Espiet to Bordeaux - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2013

Day 71: Espiet to Bordeaux

Our wild camp at Espiet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Actually, though the room was filled with garbage, the toilet worked fine
Heart 0 Comment 0

Had we known in advance that the Sauveterrre to Bordeaux trail was going to be almost all downhill, with a good surface, good signage, station buildings along the way (one or two with restaurants and others with camping possibilities), and a connection to a bikeway into the heart of Bordeaux, we would have been really excited to get on it. As it was, the excitement built as we saw more and more, and too soon it was all over.

A Creon, lots of camping possibilities
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another trailside scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
This station had a restaurant. Note banana trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even in France - the Blues Brothers
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dangerous road from the wrong turn7
Heart 0 Comment 0
The great Sauveterre to Bordeaux bbike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a rail trail, but with only this one tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
A trailside scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another station on the rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

"All over" of course, only applies to the bike path, because as mentioned, it dropped us into Bordeaux. (OK, the editorial board says I should mention getting lost. So to be perfectly accurate, the path dropped us into a "rond point", with ambiguous signage about how to proceed. We chose poorly, and ended up sliding 2 km down D113, before Dodie slammed on the brakes and declared she was too frightened by the cars to proceed. I said, let's look on the tablet for a way forward. She said, "I'm for going back". Guess which way we went! Actually, it was too scary to go straight back, so we took a side road, and got double lost. The GPS did eventually take us to the bike path by the river, and that path took us into the city - as claimed, before I added this paragraph.

The first we saw was from the opposite shore of the Garonne, and it was a skyline of church towers. Up then on Pont st Jean, a strange "french provincial" building was visible, just off the bridge. We thought it must be city hall, but as we drew near we saw it was semi-derelict. Puzzling!

We proceeded along the quay, waiting to draw abreast of the largest church before diving into the city. But Dodie spied an old gate, and she loves old gates. So in we went. It turned out to be thhe Porte de la Monnaie. We only got 200 feet before encountering an outdoor restaurant, La Turpina. We had already planned to eat at a restaurant, and said what the hell, why not this one?

Well, one possible reason could be the typical €30 price a la carte. On the other hand, we had just spent two nights wild camping, eating crackers and the like. The restaurant demonstrated the amazing difference there can be between the same nominal thing made right, and not. What I got was essentially the same as at Carcassone - poulet et frites, with bread on the side. But, but, just the bread was a symphony, and it came with really real butter. The chicken was clearly free range, firm yet tender, and flavourful. And the frites - just greasy enough to be great. Dodie had lamb and cassoulet, and pronounced them superior.

The Porte de Monnaie that attracted Dodie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our restaurant
Heart 1 Comment 0
Real butter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the menu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lamb and cassoulet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free range chicken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the restaurant, some of that great bread
Heart 0 Comment 0
They are smoking sausage and also keeping the frites warm here
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are just waiting to order dessert, for which we will need another €20, excluding coffee! With any luck by the time you read this you will be able to look at a photo below of what we got.

Dessert!
Heart 0 Comment 0

... so, what did you think?

We continued a few streets over into the St Michel district, which features a basilica and the Fleche St Michel, a tall independently standing tower by the basilica. The church was built between the 14th and 17th centuries, in a gothic style. Lots of various churches were built in this area, starting in the 8th century, but the neighbourhood took off in the 14th century when it got included inside the city walls. In the next 100 years fraternal societies built side chapels on the church, for a total of seventeen. The tower was built from 1472, and is 114 metres high. They wanted 5 euros to climb it, just one of the reasons we gave that a miss!

All around st Michel (and despite construction) were old buildings of tremendous character and charm. The people were living among these, calmly sitting at their cafes and patronizing their wonderful bakeries, as if it were all perfectly normal. Helllooo!

That building at the bridge, the Port de Monnaie, the St Michel - these could be enough to make a town great. But guess what. Bordeaux goes on like this for maybe 10 km of great stuff. as we pedalled along the quay, there was great building after great building on our left. And every street we looked down presented another great scene.

On our right, the river side, there were also some good things. For example, a large square flooded with two inches of water. People could walk here and cool off.

Another one was a skate park. Lots of thirty somethings were skooting around very professionally. I got this lucky shot:

Lucky photo shot
Heart 0 Comment 0

The signage for Lacanau-Ocean, at the coast, kept up perfectly, as did green painted cycle way. we followed this west until, we came to a sign pointing to a Decathlon. So we hung a right and went off looking for it. Dodie went in, and bought camping gaz. Then she tried to argue there was no time for me to go in. Hah. I did promise to be right back, though.

Inside, first off, it was air conditioned. Next, it was full of gear. Whaahaha. Let Dodie stand out there in the sun! In fact, I did pop back out pretty quickly.

Decathlon!
Heart 0 Comment 0

From there, we nipped up beside Lac de Bordeaux to the four star camping. Four star camping, you'll remember, does not include toilet paper (well, we remember, anyway). It does however include a pool. Go figure.

At the next tent, three motorcyclists were from South Africa. We enjoyed hearing comments about places like Ethiopia. Such things become real when referred to by someone who has just been there. We mainly spoke to Michnus, and much enjoyed listening to his accent. Strangely he said our English sounded flat, without any regional accent.

Tomorrow we expect to arrive at the sea, this time the Atlantic. That will start a new phase for us, as we head north. Even by bicycle, these stages seem to come and go awfully fast!

Back on the safe bikeway beside the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will be back in Canada and so will miss this production of the Nutcracker
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Bordeaux from across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking over to Bordeaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pont de Pierre
Heart 0 Comment 0
The semi derelict unique building. Bordeaux has unique buildings to spare
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pamphlet of the great Sauveterre to Bordeaux bike way
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is my complete cup of coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bordeaux street
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Fleche St Michel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids on a field trip to the church St Michel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the church
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church is proud to be on the pilgrimage route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings near the church
Heart 0 Comment 0
A miscellaneous apartmment building
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Bordeaux street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free standing gate at Bordeaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view across the Pont de Pierre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings facing the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are scads of sights like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panarama at the Bordeaux river front
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grampie walking on water
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down a side street from the river front
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike path continues through town and will take us to the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our new friend from South Africa
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 4,747 km (2,948 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0