Day 43:Wangen (Germany) to Rhein Spitz (Switzerland): ... and with a wave to Austria - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2013

Day 43:Wangen (Germany) to Rhein Spitz (Switzerland): ... and with a wave to Austria

Work in progress still - with some raw uploaded photos so captions to follow.

Our hotel put out a really fine breakfast buffet, with great quality, selection, and quantity. Then they handed me the keys to the parking garage. All this, since last night, was before seeing any identification or payment. I appreciate this type of trust.

Soon we were back on the wonderful street, full of quality cheese, fruits, etc. and ready to go. From Wangen there are several routes to the Bodensee, and it can be a bit confusing. We abandoned our original plan and shot for Lindau, a little further east around the lake. Even doing this there were a few bike route choices. We initially followed the "Way of the Frog" as I called it, then the "Blue Wheel" bicycle symbol, and finally we just shot into town on the bike path beside a main road.

The altstadt of Lindau is on an island, just a little offshore and linked by two short bridges. Just before hopping over we found a sporting goods store, and it yielded what I had expected could only be found in REI - a small size folding silicon mug. One of the luxuries offered on my bike is hot coffee service. But when you drink straight from the flip open thermos lip, you can burn your own lip. So a mug is best. My regular folding mug lives in the kitchen bag, so clearly I needed one in the handlebar bag.

Our glee at finding this rare item turned to a little less glee when we found that unlike the REI version, this thing can not easily be collapsed/refolded. In fact, it was a real bug. Fortunately our next stop was a post office, for yet another mail back of souvenirs. (Sorry Marius/Sandra, is the post office making you come down to pick up each one?) That allowed me 20 minutes outside to fool with the thing, and after trying ten or so methods, I got one that worked. Needless to say the "do it right" committee would not have accepted the method called "just squish it into the bag"!

Over the bridge, then, and we were immediately cast in to tourist heaven/magnificent old town/cafe central. After we got past the "my grandma got me this tee shirt in Lindau" type shops, we arrived in the first hyper attractive square. With a church, fountain, cafes, and frescoed building, we at first took thisnto be the main rathaus square. No way, the building was "just" a museum. A people filled beautiful street lead deeper into wonderland. However, we just parked in the shade by the museum and ate our lunch. There, we answered some UQs, including from a lady from Greece, who also wanted a photo of the bikes (not us, apparently) We took the opportunityto ask some UQs about Greece, so that was fair.

We are torn. We clearly can not look at every altstadt we pass between here and Amsterdam, though in fact, we want to!, This time we turned our back on the rest of Lindau, and headed for Bregenz.

Spinning eastward around the lake, we shared the radweg with scores of day cyclists. This is what we have called "bunny weg" - bike path that is dead flat and suported by ice cream shops every km. We love it.

All along the shore here it is swimmable, and lots of people were enjoying a beach scene. We slid past Bregenz, which looks like a pretty major place. However we never left the beach to go see. Our maps showed us lots of altstadt stuff, just "over there ", but we had done so few kms, we decided to sail on past. Scratch altstadt #2. What are these Grampies doing? Next they will start bypassing bakeries. Is nothing sacred?

Beyond Bregenz, on the way to Rorsach, we paused at an unsigned intersection to puzzle about how to turn. Magically, as often happens, a road angel popped up. His name was Bernie, and he lives near here. Not only could he point us in the right direction, but he said since we were going his way, he would be our guide. So, for about 10 km, we followed Bernie. In fact, we followed him right into his driveway! Actually, he invited us for a cup of coffee.

Bernien had to been to Canada a few times, and knew our area. So we had fun mentioning placesnwe all have been. It is a priviledge as a tourist to talk to and get to know a real local. Thanks for giving us those couple of hours, Bernie,

The Rhine runs into the lake here, coming down from its source about 150 km south in the Alps. It formed a delta, and today there are two water courses, the engineered (new) Rhine, and the original or Altes Rhine. The old Rhine forms the border between Austria and Switzerland. We crossed it on a small bridge, and then cycled beside it to where it enters the Bodensee. This is the Rhein Spitz, and it's where, at a yacht club campground, we have pitched our tent.

The breakfast buffet at Hotel Moren Post was super - this is just a part of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really nice cheeses
Heart 0 Comment 0
High quality brotchen at the breakfast buffet
Heart 0 Comment 0
I must be the only person in Germany (who is not an official of some sort) that is wearing a yellow safety vest. So when I snapped this photo of for me a dream van, the owner got nervous and promised to move it right away!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on our gorgeous street in front of the hotel, it was time to reluctantly leave town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortunately, this wool store was closed!
Heart 0 Comment 0
But a man spontaneously directed us to what he said was the best bakery in town. Grampies must look hungry, even when they are not. Still, we bought two quark tasche (cheese danish) just for the hell of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of routes leave Wangen and head for the Bodensee. We followed the blue frog for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of ways to the lake. Once we get there, we will spin around it clockwise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the next while I will be trying for a great photo of a Swiss cow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our typical morning path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I figured in Untermooweiler I should have a good crack at a cow photo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Karyn, we are into a bunch of "weiler"s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful, winding path
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first house will all flowered balconies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Laurie, some new flavours of Ritter Sport in here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are willing to try any bicycle Genusbomb!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These will get mailed home to help make our own mohn kuchen when we get desperate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A miscellaneous ruin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have officially entered Bavaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
... but we could have told from the flowered balcony before. Here we see the balcony and
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is our route for today and tomorrow - around the Bodensee, past Bregenz, Austria and to Romanshorn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another mailback of souvenirs and maps. Sorry Sandra and Marius, does the post office make you come down to pick up each one?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The silicon cup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This thing does not
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Joni, instead of a circus we have reggae night!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Lindau, the ideal grandkid tee shirt
Heart 0 Comment 0
The museum square in Lindau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strange lion expression on the museum at Lindau
Heart 0 Comment 0
The way to go to see Lindau altstadt. We didn't.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An inexplicable star of david on a Lindau building, that seemed to be dated 1939.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looked up in Lindau and randomly saw this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings up in the alm, behind the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing Bregenz. You can swim from steps all along here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of day cyclists along the Bodensee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a passing peek at Bregenz. Seems nice, and has a great beach in front.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area features lots of lush flowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boating is naturally a big activity here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernie explains about the region, and the little bridge we are on, which is a memorial for those who emigrated from the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inscription on the bridge means something like "they went as far as possible"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine delta provides good wildlife habitat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the lake, back to Germany
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "new" or regulated Rhine, on its way to the Bodensee
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Alps start here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernie leads us through his neighbourhood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and Bernie review where we are and how we will get out!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baby goat. Goat's milk was a major factor in restoring Clara's health, in Heidi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings in the alm, or high pastures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed the old Rhine and entered Switzerland. This shot is backwards, to Austria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The summary map of Swiss bike, hike, and skate routes. There are a lot!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We camped where the Rhine enters the lake - the Rhein Spitz.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 2,770 km (1,720 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0