Day 32: Zehdenick to Berlin - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2013

Day 32: Zehdenick to Berlin

Photos, captions, text ... all under construction right now! Our free camping spot worked out really well. We had access to the nice washrooms and drinking water at the swimming beach, and except for the strange man in the other tent, had it to ourselves.

Morning at our Wald Bad camping
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were curious, as we rolled into the adjacent town of Zehdenick, to see what our gasthaus would have been, had we not found the Wald Bad. As far as we could see, there were no places to stay in town. So we were lucky!

The town was a revelation in another way. Now there was no doubt about the difference between west and east Germany. Many, many houses were in a state of moderate to advanced decay, and the town overall was noticeably shabby. Even close to the centre, where there was an eis cafe, it was a relatively drab affair. But again, it is not a uniform picture. Some places were really, really nice, and most streets had far more charm than those in Duncan B.C., the nearest town to where we live.

Later we ran into a 69 year old fellow out for a quick 60 km spin from his small town. His name was Gunther, and he cycled along with us for a while. He spoke English very well, but to my dismay said he could understand Dodie far better than I, It meant I had to use Dodie as the middle lady, in order to pepper him with questions. Here is what we learned:

Many of the properties that are unrestored and now crumbling belong(ed) to people who walked away from them in order to move to the West (presumably before the Wall: 1961). Before reunification, his village of about 1200-1500 people had just a dozen telephones. After reunification things improved, but it took 2 1/2 years for him to then get his first phone.

The transition of power after the wall came down was actually orderly. A few months after, there were elections, which the communists lost. Then they walked away in the "normal" fashion when a government loses an election.

One of many unrestored buildings in Zehdenick
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zehdenick
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zehdenick - this one really needs work
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zehedenick - here is an example of restored and unrestored side by side
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery in Zehdenick was just ok. The "danish" did not use oil, but it did use cheap shorteniing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bit of Zehdenick
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unlike Netherlands, where windows all have vases, here it is lace - and so supporting this lace store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zehdenick manhole cover. Note the strange sharing of the eagle and the fleur de lis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the edge of Zehdenick, a Red Army cemetary - there were 15 graves, all dated 1945.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful building in Zehdenick
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grampies often get lost, and seldom go back to figure out why. Once you are through whatever the problem area was, you just want to get on with it. But this time we backtracked, and found this. Found what? Here, dodie will prune the tree so you can see...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie has pruned the tree!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cloister from 1250, Zehdenick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Suburbs" outside Zehdenick
Heart 0 Comment 0

We soon realized that the Havel River continues all the way to Berlin, and our route often followed it, or some related canal. So the watery play land that began at Muritz park goes all the way to the city. That means there is boating, swimming, and summer cottages all along.

Passing through this water land, we continued to think about Walter, and the fold boating that he often talked about. Looking out at the waters, we fantasized some Star Trek like scenario where we would actually see him paddling along. If so, would he see us? Sadly, Dodie observed that he would not recognize her, for she would not have been born yet.

The Havel River runs all through this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perhaps you can make out the region - Zehdenick to Oranienburg, on this map.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a lot of really nice stream or canal side cycling today
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the side of a barn - this innovative sculpture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walter, Walter? Could that be (or have been) you?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Michel - two trikes with complete fairings. Sorry, my shot from the front side was blurry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This type of tent caterpillar is actually very dangerous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and local cyclist Gunter. A former gymnastics teacher, at 69 he goes out for a 60 km cruise before lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pine trees here have dark bases and light bark above, for an interesting effect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Trabant, parked in a mysterious property guarded by dogs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crumbling guard house to the "globalkids.org" property. What is/was this outfit?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A strange gefahr indeed - it warns cyclists of a curve in the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another caterpillar warning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water based recreation abounds within 100 km of Berlin
Heart 0 Comment 0

As has often happened with the naive Grampies, we came to some serious historical stuff just by stumbling on it. In this case, it was the Wall. Yes, the Wall - we were cycling over/along it when Dodie said "Say, doesn't Mauer mean Wall - we are on the Mauer Weg!". Well, duh!

The truth of this realization was hammered home as we came to a number of memorials and explanations. You shoould find them in photos either just below or (if I have yet to move them) and the end of this page. Try zooming to read the placques - you will then be seeing exactly what we saw.

A little further (for our route exactly follows the wall) we came to a guard tower. In front of it ran the death zone, corresponding to the actual boundary. We were cycling exactly in this zone. How things have changed in under 25 years!

We found camping within 15 km of Berlin centre. It was reasonably priced at about 15 euros, and for some reason We were able to buy a steak dinner here for 3.70 in the bier garten. It was really good too, and with lots of potato salad.

Tomorrow we will try out their breakfast buffet, and head into the city. We are quite focussed - we just want to see Walter's old house, and maybe check if there is any record of the family locally. Beyond that, we will just rely on our famous stumbling ability and see what turns up!

The red line, our cycle route, is also the east/west Berlin boundary. duh!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the path of the Wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the path of the Wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the path of the Wall - the photos are of people killed nearby in escape attempts
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the path of the Wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
A guard tower, as it appears today
Heart 0 Comment 0
The same tower before 1989 . The death zone in front is exactly where we are cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the area by the tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spandau old city in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Berlin airport is nearby. Many planes are from Berlin Air, something we are not familiar with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many teeny holiday houses in this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little paddlers in training
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hooray, we found the camping
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Berlin!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 2,266 km (1,407 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0