Day 3: Amsterdam to Ijmuiden - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2013

Day 3: Amsterdam to Ijmuiden

In our hotel rroom this bath faucet brilliantly - independently - controlled volume and temperature. How does it do that??
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although we are eager to get on with our circle route, we decided to take some time for a slightly closer look at Amsterdam. So we cycled back through the Vondelpark, which is the way to approach the city from the south. While yesterday the people were sitting on the grass or BBQ ing, today they seemed to be making amends for so much resting. Now,everyone was running, unless they were cycling. Whatever their activity,  it could happen in the middle of the road because of course there are no cars.

Runners join cyclists, abandoning the BBQs for now in Vondel park
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the first of the many canals that ring the city, and entered the cafè zone. Here the people were unrepentant, though it be Sunday, and throngs of them were in the streets and at the tables. We continued deeper into the ciity, toward the train station, which marks the north end. Again we came to the flower market, noting with amusement the various marijuana growing products being offered, the amazingly giant Amaryllis bulbs, and of course the myriad tulips.

A typical Amsterdam street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Avi - robots
Heart 0 Comment 0
More robots
Heart 0 Comment 0

At this point (still heading toward the train station) the character of things changes a bit. Now the pedestrian street or streets feature  clothing/shoe stores rathe than cafes. This ends at the Dam Square, the original heart of the city. After that, things go beserk, with all manner of buildings and activities - a kaleidoscopic contiinual party that includes the famous red light  district and oodles of additional cafe streets.

This company has many cheese stores around town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie needs to buy me the apartment in th top of this tower!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the flower market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amaryllis
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cannabis for sale - tr getting that through customs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good flavours
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another pedestrian zone
Heart 0 Comment 0
A scenic narrow alley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nutritious delicious lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apple tarte - yummy looking
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dam Square - the heart of Amsterdam
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the train station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chaotic fun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canalside tables
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another street scene
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made our way back through the  fun layers of the city, to the outer ring - where the "Bever" camping store is. Dodie parked me outside (with the bikes) and went in to buy fuel and to replace the fire starters now being enjoyed  by the CATSA agents in Vancouver. I found myself standing with two workers who were replacing some glass in the building. Actually, a third man was doing the replacing, and we (three now) were helping by watching. Both of my companions were born in Amsterdam, but one was of Turkish descent and one came  from an Indonesian mother and Dutch father (or the reverse). They were naturally interested in our tour, and the strange bikes, but I was interested in their glass business. I learned that the building floors above Bever are the world headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger, and the entrance way in which "we" were doing the glass work led to the Hilfiger parking garage. That is, bike parking, of course.

The man of turkish descent said he had been in Brooklyn (New York, USA that is) and tried cycling there. He was helping start a  business importing Dutch bikes. It's a hard sell he said, but I could have guessed that.

Bever (these folks need a spelling lesson!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back through the park, and the people had now given up running and were merely lying around in the hot sun. We stopped two police officers (bicycle police, of course) and found out the location of a water fountain. With our helmets, relective vest, lined shorts, sun sleeves, etc. we were definitely odd balls, and using up far more water than the lightly clad locals.

Picnic in thhe park
Heart 0 Comment 0

The far outskirts of Amsterdam, like withh many beautiful old cities, contains some nothing special newer construction. However this gave way to Haarlem, where we again could again look at 400 year old buildings along canals. Our target was Ijmuiden, at the North Sea coast, and there we easily found our camping.

Haarlem gate
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haarlem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haarlem geese
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home in Ijmuiden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canadian noodles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Essential gifts
Heart 0 Comment 0

Other neighbours were Maya and Indy, cycling to Belgium as a fund raiser for children with cancer. Check out their web site:
www.kika.nl!

Indy's charity tour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Indy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 83 km (52 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0