Day 12: Tossens to Dorum - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2013

Day 12: Tossens to Dorum

We can see now that the whole peninsula we are on is a great play land. There is beach resort stuff at the coast and quiet country roads for cycling in the interior. The little towns of the interior, though, are a bit boring because they are mostly residential and lack churches, squares, and cafes.

The Budjadingen peninsula, features maybe a dozen little communities. We cycled through most of them, sometimes twice! (but not on purpose)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast by te toilet building. The shelter from the wind was a luxury.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses are solid but not inspiring
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some houses were
Heart 1 Comment 0
Twin lambs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top indicator is the height of the dike, and the remaining ones show various past flood levels. We seem safe for now!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It strikes me that just a dozen days out of the comforts of Amsterdam, the bike at least is beginning to look like a world traveller.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The exit from the peninsula is the ferry at Blexen. There is a view there of the Bremerhaven skyline, with a sign explaining what the buildings are. Bremerhaven does have quite a few new and interesting buildings, but we are not talking about New York, or even Vancouver.

A nice view in Blexen
Heart 0 Comment 0
In this part of Germany the Dutch vases in the window are out and every window has lace
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached th Wesel River, on which Bremen stands. This castle probably controlled river trade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry to Bremerhaven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time for a sea cruise
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main shopping street in Bremerhaven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pastry research comes back to the plum and strawberry kuchen
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are othher pastry choices as well, and probably a dozen bakeries in the vicinity
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of an interesting seal sculpture
Heart 0 Comment 0

It seems our quest for a Schwalbe 40-406 tire is becoming a good excuse for extended tours of cities. We tracked down ttwo shops in Bremerhaven, but neither was any help. They say Cuxhaven has some great shops - so hope springs eternal.

Bike shoop number one. Did not get a shot of number two, but neither could help us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bremerhaven was a major U-Boat base, which accounts for this one being here. I think it also accounts for the lack of old buildings around the town.

U Boat Wilhelm Bauer. This is a "type 21" commissioned in 1945 but never used. It was scuttled by its crew in the Baltic but later raised and restored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern buildings and old ship. Bremerhaven is almost all new.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sail building - part of modern architecture that dominates te city
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shopping plaza downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
A general view of the harbour area
Heart 0 Comment 0
The modern designed aquarium
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are just 50 km from Cuxhaven and the Elbe. In principle we could hop on the Elbe and be in Prague in no time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large drydock in the Bremerhaven industrial harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large cargo shiips. Note the pouring rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Despite the rain, pflammenkuchen brings a smile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the industrial harrbour. The other folks are also headed to Cuxhaven.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much great looking farm equipment, cars, and vans going in or out. I was so jealous of all the vans. How hard would it be for them to ship just one our way??
Heart 0 Comment 0

It ws deja vu all over again as we rolled up to Dorum, by the dike. There was a carbon copy of last night's camping (even the same company) , with a nearby strip with tourist food and services. The only difference was that we found a large covered shelter, with three long picnic tables in it. This was great, because there was almost no one around and because the rain was continuing on and off. So we could prepare our supper and write this blog in comfort. Our plan is also to not put up the tent - either inside or outside the shelter, but just to throw down our bags on the floor.

We have been joined at the table now by a young couple, Simon and Sabrina from Switzerland. They are cycling from Amsterdam to Berlin. Needless to say, we had a grand time talking shop.

Covered shelter at the dike camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Johannis, stachel, and heidel beeren. Berries are a great feature of summer in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Simon and Sabrina, from Biel, Switzerland
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 798 km (496 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0