The cat named Chevy? - The cat named Chevy won't stop this tour, and neither can COVID - CycleBlaze

The cat named Chevy?

It's a great back story. It's also a story I'd rather not be telling.

On November 3rd, Jacinto was riding down a steep hill here in town. He saw a big, white cat by the side of the road. It darted out in front of him at the last minute. Jacinto T-boned the cat and went over the bars, doing a big belly flop and landing with his arms extended. He had on multiple layers of clothes and thick winter gloves. At first it seemed Jacinto was relatively okay. His right arm hurt, but he could move it with some pain. Jacinto was offended I had asked after the cat. It had run off. It was okay that I asked after the bike. The bars had flipped around and taken a pea size chunk out of the paint. The bar end Rohloff shifter barrel came off. Jacinto repaired that later.

He did the traditional rest, ice, elevation treatment for the weekend and saw the doctor on Monday. She thought he would be better soon. By the end of the week Jacinto decided he'd like an Xray and went to an orthopedist. Jacinto felt somewhat vindicated in his pain. There was a hairline fracture near his elbow. Instructions were to use his arm as comfortable, but don't expect to bicycle or lift weights for 6-8 weeks. The doctor also added he thought the vibration from cycling could be a problem.

At this writing he is seven weeks out from the crash. Jacinto went for a 33.3 mile ride yesterday. It was not a good idea. Jacinto said keeping his arm straight for that long with weight on it was an issue. He came right in the house and took ibuprofen. We didn't take a cycling trip to Tucson this Christmas because of his arm. A friend at work had a similar injury and said it was a year before her arm quit hurting. Now we are a bit apprehensive about summer. Jacinto needs to let that arm heal!

But what about the cat? I was telling Jacinto's story to a friend. Gary laughed and said that happened right in front of Misty's house and she has a big white cat. He bet that was Misty's cat, Chevy. Jacinto says he felt like he hit a Chevy!

I told the story to another friend. Cathy does yoga with Misty and had more to add to the tale. Misty came home and found Chevy in bed, with a big black mark down his middle. She thought he had been hit by a car. Chevy wouldn't get out of bed or go outside. Misty took him to the vet, where Chevy received an IV and a check up. The vet said Chevy was fine and sent him home. Jacinto was quite offended that Chevy got an IV and he didn't!

That's the story of a cat named Chevy. We are desperately hoping that Jacinto's arm is in touring condition by June. I've threatened that he might need to ride a recumbent to keep the weight off of his arm. Jacinto is horrified by the idea!

Edit 1/25/20 - Jacinto saw Misty at the postoffice and asked after Chevy. Misty said he still won't go outside. She did not inquire after Jacinto's arm . . .

Jacinto insists on going for a ride, even though his arm still hurts. His concession to my concern is to take ibuprofen before leaving instead of upon his return. Note that he is wearing the same shirt he had on during the accident. Holes and everything.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0