Woahink to Harris Beach, OR - The Beautiful Pacific - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2019 to August 19, 2019

Woahink to Harris Beach, OR

Sunrises, sunsets and everything in between

We left Woahink and toodled to Tugman SP. We stopped in and did a load of laundry before we made it to Tugman.  After a good climb, I had to stop and take in some of this beautiful landscape I have been blessed to ride through.

Some Beautiful views after climbing a mountain pass!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cycling down the mountain into the town of Gardiner. A quick stop to reflect in a once prosperous town that was effected by a tsunami.  It is humbling to think how weather can change the lives and landscape so quickly. Pedaling through my day, I reflect how quickly life changes in the blink of an eye. Praying that dear ones to me and random strangers learn how to live each day fully and grasp that we are not promised tomorrow.

The town Gardiner reminded me of cycling friends from Alaska, Ann and Mack 😀
Heart 0 Comment 0

After sharing stories with other cyclists in the hiker biker campsite, we sit down to do some planning. Kim received a go on a stay with Warmshowers hosts Daniel and Margaret in Coos Bay for the following evening.  Time to call it a day!

The next morning, we say our goodbyes and well wishes to the early risers as we settle into our morning routine.  We had the chance to discuss routing and maps with a couple who met on tour 10 years ago. She loves hills, he does not. Ha! We share with them our mottos. 😀 We are not purists or masochists.😎 We cycle at the same time, not together.🚴‍♀️Stay flexible. 🦋 and Its not a race! We say our so longs and head out for Coos Bay!

A helpful hint to drivers in Oregon. A cyclist can push the button to alert drivers that they are on the bridge. Thank you ODOT!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I, waited for traffic to pass before I pushed the button alerting drivers waiting at the red light that we are on the bridge. We took the lane for our safety. 3 minutes to cross this 2 bbn lane bridge. Quickly after we finish the bridge, we pull off to safety to allow the drivers of the cars to pass.  A white male driver in a Ford Escape narrowly escaped meeting his maker as he pulled up and parked half in the traveling lane and mere feet from us. Raging and spewing his angry words at us for taking the lane on the bridge, he un buckled his seatbelt and proceeded to open his door. Mind you traffic had to now go around him. Natural selection did not happen today. He shut his door and sped off. Smile and wave. Kim turns and says its not about us and I hope he has a better day tomorrow. Kim jokes she has her bodyguard, Rose with her that's why he sped off. I say it was me capturing the moment on video. Either way we ride on into Coos Bay for lunch at the deli in Fred Meyer. 

After sharing a huge turkey panini, we resupply on candy bars lol and some essentials like shoe goo. My cycling shoes have seen 5 years of use and were now coming apart. Never underestimate a girl armed with shoe goo, rubberbands and determination! 

We arrived a little early at Margaret and Daniels. Even though we were ahead of schedule they invited us in.  We were glad to be done with our cycling that day. 

Margaret and Daniel made a delicious plant based meal for us. I am still dreaming of her potato salad. 

So delicious!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We talk and share stories until the day ends. Margaret was Daniels SAG when he cycled from Coos Bay, OR to Denver, CO for his 50th high school reunion. Teamwork, support of each others goals and dreams, kindness, patience and long lasting love embody this lovely couple. #relationshipgoals

In the hallway after shoe gooing my shoes. Somebody open a window lol #thesefumes
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the morning, after some delicious homemade oatmeal, we pack up and say our goodbyes. Wonderful hosts! So very thankful for the Warmshowers community and the friendships it builds.

Kim and I ride 27 miles to our next destination, Bullards Beach SP. A lot of cyclists tonight and a few travelers that somehow keep reappearing along the route. 

At the Hiker Biker campsite we met Mike and Veronika, two architects who work in Seattle and just finished their degrees. Both very adventurous and international travelers.  

We also met an inspirational couple Kaisa and Christoffer from Finland. She was a double amputee, above the knee. Two artists that cycle together.  He carried most of  their supplies on his trailer, she had a trunk bag. Teamwork makes the dream work! An amazing and determined team! I love this!

Kaisa and Christoffer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Their story!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arise and start our day! We are headed South to Humbug Mountain state park.  Kim set off first while I finished up correspondence and emails. Both of us had our hearts captured in the quaint town of Bandon. We eventually caught up to each other at a little roadside bookstore outside of Langlois.  Together we helped a Tin Can Sailor, Wes Feeler change his tire. He served 20 yrs in the Navy and hadn't changed a tire in 60 years. Imagine 2 girls in spandex who role up on bikes and get the job done. Providence!

When Wes asked why the photo, the kind gentleman with the compressor replied. "Its all about the blog!" Thanks Dad for teaching this girl how to mechanic!
Heart 0 Comment 0

With Wes on the road again, Kim and I roll to Langlois Post Office and for lunch at the Spoon. Langlois is the small town that my friend Andrea's cousin lives. Andrea is on tour with us  in spirit. These are her original orange Ortleib panniers. This is their first tour.  About 6 years ago she was hit from behind while cycling to the store in Florida. Near death, she recovered as best she could in 5 years, but could not ride anymore.😐  She shared her testimony with me when I bought her panniers before I left on tour. She is absolutely blessed to be alive. I am thankful for His hand on her life.

Andrea's panniers and my pink pool noodle! Can you see us now?
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a filling lunch at the Spoon, we stop into the local library.  Kim rolls out before me as I am tied to the electrical outlet. How else do you think I get my sparky personality? Lol.

We end our day at Humbug Mountain state park.  We meet a few more cyclists there that have become friends. 

Julie and Claire, two lovely gals from France.

Mike and Veronica from Seattle.

Mike and Pete from California.

Memories made and friendships begin while on adventure! 

Entering Humbug Mountain State Park. Thankfully its downhill to the hike and bike sites!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I pack up the next day and roll out Gold Beach. Prior to reaching Gold Beach I cycled down the Old 101 Highway. I found my sweetspot in Wedderburn. To the East, mountains and trees. In the flats, cattle grazed in the pasture. Then to the West, the beach! My sweet spot!! Mountains, trees, cattle, beach!! Breathtaking!

Our stay at Gold beach was spent soaking up sunshine, resting and getting caught up on journals and mapping.  The next day we set out for Harris Beach!

This Arizona native had to stop!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loving the Oregon Coast!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
My beverage of choice! Arbonne Complete hydration! Yum!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I had an amazing climb and descent! Pulled into the Arch Rock for lunch. Amazing views!

Kim at the Arch!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breathtaking!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flying over the Pacific!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Brookings!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Top notch Hiker Biker Sites at Harris State Park!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Absolutley well equipped and top notch hiker biker sites at Harris Beach State Park. We ran onto Julie, Claire, Mike and Veronica! Shared stories around the campfire. Best night with new friends! We all crashed and set off early the next day. But first a memorable funny photo! Blessed to have this time together!

Left to Right Julie, Kim, Me, Claire, Veronica and Mike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 201 miles (323 km)
Total: 480 miles (772 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0