Crescent City to Willetts, California - The Beautiful Pacific - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2019 to August 26, 2019

Crescent City to Willetts, California

Sunrises, sunsets and everything in between

Hills, Heat and Headwinds. We put our big girl panties on deal with it!
Heart 0 Comment 0

California here we come!

After a wonderful night shared by the campfire with our cycling friends, we all turn in for the night. 

Mike and Veronica are pressing on to Elks Prairie. Julie, Claire, Kim and I are all meeting up in Crescent City at a Warmshowers host Katie's cycling refuge in a church! She has hosted over 2000 cyclists. Showers, commercial kitchen, comfortable and safe environment=blessings!

Hello California! Please don't hit my noodle!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I cycle down the  country backroad bumpy roads in California, I cannot help but think about my friends farm in South Georgia.  The sunrises, sunsets, cows bellowing, farm smells, dog smiles and friendships made play in my mind with each pedal stroke through rural California. Missing home, but thankful for the time away to clear my mind and seek His direction in my life. Bicycle touring is a beautiful thing. As I press forward up hills, into the wind, down hills with the wind in my face lifes purpose becomes clear. My heart is made whole again. A smile is on my face daily. My light shines bright and people I meet along the way tell me they feel my good energy. ❤

There is just something about bicycle touring!

Cycling puts a smile on my face...most days 😉
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our way to Crescent City, Kim and I stop at a roadside market in Fort Dick. A trail angel appeared out of nowhere. She came to tell us that the Hwy 1 is very dangerous between Crescent City and Kalamath. There is a bus and for $4 you can save your life. She had lost many friends along that road. Hit and killed on that stretch of road.  Kim and I heed the message and decide to take the bus to Arcata. Doing what we do best, staying flexible! After spending a day exploring in Crescent City, we say our goodbyes to our new friends and hop the bus to Arcata.

Sitting at the end of the jetty, listening to Andrew play me an original song his ukelae.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes on the Jetty. Be open to life's adventures, you might just brighten someone's day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrive in Arcata and we visit with my adventurous niece Libby. She is headed out the following day for a 5 day camping, caving, hiking and hot springing adventure! Love this!!

Rocky and Libby. Her buddy and protector!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I contact a Warmshowers host up the road and overnight in their garden. We awoke to the beauty of the rural life in Arcata. Roosters crow as we unzip our tents, shaking off the dew, we welcome a new day. Wallace and Evelyn are wonderful Warmshower hosts who own Hoopla farms. Their logo is a chicken trying to ride a bicycle.

Hoopla farm. 💜🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️💜
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wonderful Warmshowers hosts, Wallace and Evelyn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

  Before we set off we capture a pic of Wallace and Evelyn's boys and their childhood friend.  Good group of young men!

Dan, Jeremiah and Nick heading out for a Mt. Bike ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I head out toward Loleta. Adventure cycling and google cycling need to get together and blend. Neither were ideal out of Arcata. We eventually found a 6.5 mile bike path that skirted the Eel river in Eureka. Be aware of your surroundings when you take this path. If traveling with a group, stay together on this path. Strength in numbers. If traveling solo, pedal fast. It was nice to be away from the cars in the highway but its best to stay alert even on the multi use trails. Trust your gut, or just do as Kim does, bring your body guard, aka Rose.🤣🤣

End of the trail along this segment of the Eel river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Kim and I, stop in at a Warmshower host residence in Loleta. Actually, it is the only WS in Loleta. Note to self offload your bike and change out of your cycling shoes. The driveway is steep, unforgiving and you will eat shat.

Oh SHAT! The driveway to our WS host home. It did not end well. Guests beware!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping in rain in Loleta. Rain or shine! It's all good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a Warmshower, some shared electricity and wifi, Kim and I retired to our tents. Rain or shine...the tent is a peaceful retreat. In the morning we packed up our wet gear and rolled to Fortuna. 

On the bright side of things, we stumbled across some beautiful dahlias in the garden in Loleta.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made a stop at the library for a phone call. Afterward, stopped in for some warm Chinese food. The cold wind and clouds covered the sky most of the day in Fortuna. Over lunch, we were doing our best to warm up, Kim made an executive decision to take a rest day at a hotel. Great decision since the weather was not favorable and our equipment was still damp from the night before!

Fortunately in Fortuna!
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the morning, we set off for the Avenue of Giants! Definitely a highlight of the trip!! Taking the slow ride amongst these old, enormous Redwoods was epic!

Go hug a tree!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shenanigans!
Heart 0 Comment 0
All smiles! I am having a blast!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kim having a blast in the Avenue of the Giants!
Heart 0 Comment 0
She's drafting me again...lol.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a beautiful day spent among the Giants, we stopped at Burlington State Park for the night. Large hike and bike site, but mixed in with the general population.  We slept among the Redwoods! Beautiful!!  The next morning, Kim and I pack up and chat  with a hiker we met in  Fortuna. He was heading to Garberville to his seasonal "gig"...weed trimming.  We set off for Richardson state park. On our way south we stopped at Dazeys farm store. The employees were unbelievably nice and allowed us to sit in their breakroom/cafe seating away from the highway traffic. They also allowed us to park our bikes close by away from the eyes of the population of traveling weed trimmers.

Breakroom at Dazeys
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I, made a beeline through Garberville and rolled into Richardson state park.

Nacho Mama! Shenanigans!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what we do when we hit the 3 H's. Heat, Headwinds and Hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrive at Richardson state park, both of us tired and the look on my face..another damn hill to get to the campsite. This girl needs dinner and a hot shower. We ate, took showers, visited with a few other cyclists and turned in early.

The next morning we made the short run to Standish Hickey State park. Good hiker biker sites with electricity in the ramada, hot showers and a swimming hole.

The slow moving Eel River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Standish Hickey the last state park before the hills of Leggitt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well worth the hike to the swimming hole!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The foot bridge across the Eel River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hammock for naps and the tent for overnights. Options. Keep them open!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we set up camp, a few more cyclists arrived. We shared quarters and stories of adventures. 2 cyclists were heading to Garberville, weed trimming. 2 cyclists met on their tour and were conquerring  Leggitt  together the next day. 1 solo cyclist heading to Sacramento to visit an uncle. The next day, Kim and I decided to stay flexible and skip the monster hills of Leggitt and head to Willets. After a good sleep, the next morning we all setoff in to our respective destinations.

Candy bar break in the shade on Hwy 101.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our way to Willits we stopped in  Laytonville, a small town and breaked for a bite to eat and some AC at a local coffee shop.

Kim and I rolled on towards Willits. We found ourselves deep into our journey along a narrow creekside road. We made a call to our Warmshowers hosts. He arrived and sagged us in the last few miles to their home. Our hosts were amazing and kind. We enjoyed wonderful dinner on the patio with their grandkids. We shared stories into the night and finally retired bed. 

Sunrise in Willits
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 169 miles (272 km)
Total: 649 miles (1,044 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0