Swank Days in Villaverde (Aug. 18 and 19, 2022) - CentralEurope - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2022

Swank Days in Villaverde (Aug. 18 and 19, 2022)

I have decided to combine these couple of days while we hang out in Friuli because honestly, how much detail do you really need on how many times Dave or  Jill take a bath and Jill enjoying the US tennis circuit on tv (albeit in Italian) and just generally hanging out enjoying our sleek, modern condo, while watching Italians out our window play bad golf?

On a more healthful note,  Jill enjoyed a very nice 5 k walk around the golf course and Dave of course engaged in continuing adventures in laundry. It was necessary to ride to the next town over (Fagnano) to find a laundromat which he dutifully did one morning after a lovely breakfast at our hotel. Of course he arrives and the laundromat is packed with nary a washer being available due to the fact that one family was using 3 of the 4 washers. The ladies in the place were very helpful, and at some point the ex-husband of one of the ladies came in (don’t ask - it was complicated). Turns out he was a former diplomat from South Africa. Dave had a very garbled but entertaining morning with this family. Somebody offered to get him change for the machines and he asked for 20 euros, only to realize afterwards that what he got was TOKENS, not change. (When we rode back into town for dinner we stopped at the laundromat and left the nine remaining tokens, hoping someone else could use them).

How many Italian women does it take to help an American guy with his laundry?
Heart 3 Comment 0

We also had a lovely dinner outside of Fagnano at Casale Cjanor, one those farm-to-table places where every item of food is something they grew there; the nettles from the back garden, their own sausage from their (former) pet pig,  jams they made there etc. It was lovely and we marvel at how important food and food presentation is in Italy. We rode home in the dark at 9:30 with lightning going off like crazy.

Our restaurant.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And its grounds.
Heart 2 Comment 0

One afternoon we skirted rainy, bad weather and rode into San Daniele (8 k) for a plate of ham and glass of wine for lunch (which was pretty much in keeping with what every other Italian there had for lunch).  The ham was like ham candy - melt in your mouth delicious.

The best prosciutto ever.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We also braved the Eurostar grocery store for a few items - always an adventure in a different country. We  ate in our flat that evening (sandwiches, fruit, and chips from the grocery) so we could watch the start of the Vuelta.

The breakfast scene in the Hotel Villaverde.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our unit was in the nearest building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our living room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our living room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And our tub!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We will soon be off to Slovenia and after a couple of days of slothful living, we’re excited.


P.S. in the interests of full disclosure we actually used the gym at the hotel TWICE, so it wasn’t all sloth. I didn’t want to have to suggest we change the  name of the blog to “cycleLaze”. The ab exercises didn’t feel too good. 



Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0