Sentjost to Ljubljana via the Rupnikova Line (Aug. 27, 2022) - CentralEurope - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2022

Sentjost to Ljubljana via the Rupnikova Line (Aug. 27, 2022)

Our first leg was a short but annoyingly persistent climb.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Allyson KruegerLoving your blog, Jill! Jeff is now very interested in visiting Slovenia. Btw, according to Wikipedia, nearly everyone over 64 in Slovenia is retired. This may be why all the people you are interacting with are young.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And the 2nd leg had a fast, long downhill ride followed by a flat slog into Lubljana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Because I am such a glutton for history, and because Dave is willing to indulge me, I had set up ANOTHER private tour at ANOTHER obscure site; this time it was the Rupnikova Line outside of Goli Vrh with our guide Boris. The Rupnikova Line was 8 k from Sentjost up the usual massive climb so we left Sentjost at 9 am with a mission.  It was a tough grind thanks to the wine pairing we indulged in the night before. 

The Rupnikova Line was built by the pre-World War 2 Yugoslav government because of tensions with Italy.  The Kingdom of Yugoslavia had ceded significant territory to Italy given it was on the losing side of WW1, but it also knew Italy had designs on even more of the kingdom's territory.  As a result, and similar to efforts in France to build the Maginot Line, and Italy to build the Alpine Line, Yugoslavia started construction of the Rupnikova Line in 1937.  It was named after Leon Rupnik, a prominent Slovene General.  As things turned out, the line was never finished and proved obsolete (like the Maginot Line in France) when Germany circumvented the line by invading through Austria in April 1941. Yugoslavia  was then occupied by Germany, Hungary and Italy. The king then fled to England to establish a government in exile. Interestingly, he died in 1970 in Denver at the age of 47 never having the chance to return home. 

The line was planned to be an entire city for soldiers (maximum of 40,000)  to live underground in a series of tunnels with only a couple of places where heavily- reinforced concrete bunkers were built above ground with gun emplacements. Today the site consists of a bunch of dark, cold (6 degrees C) dank tunnels for barracks, kitchens, water, electricity,  weapons.  

Boris our guide.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the paddle locked entrance to the tunnel system. Tours are typically offered once a month but Jill finagled one just for us.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Stuart GarrettAmazing story!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

During the Tito era of Yugoslavia (1945-1980) the existence of the line was kept secret but the Slovene government recently realized it was of historical interest and opened it up for limited viewing.

Just one of the myriad tunnels.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a bowling area used today by the locals in winter. Concerts are sometimes held in the tunnels as well.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stairway to heaven?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The tour started slowly (Boris didn’t have the best English, but our Slovenian isn’t great either!) and it took awhile for everyone to warm up to each other. However, the excitement built when he told us we had to scale up two different ladders in the dark to get up to the bunkers.

124 steps . . .
Heart 2 Comment 0
. . . before the vertical ladders.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This bat is one of the denizens occupying the tunnel system.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And, just for more excitement, we then had to crawl through a machine gun portal to get outside the bunker. Boris and then Dave slithered through in a super athletic manner. I am not sure I can accurately describe the hilarity and embarrassment that ensued when Boris and Dave pulled me by the legs to get me through the portal. Not one of my more elegant moments.

Jill: Veni, vidi, vici!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The above ground, reinforced concrete machine gun bunker.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Only after the tour did Boris report that more than half of the people on his tours refuse to go through the portal, so I felt quite vindicated for doing it, however inelegantly. We also learned we were the first Americans that had toured the line and  he took copious pics of our bikes showing the effort we made in coming to visit. We learned a lot about the complicated, tragic and messy history of this area. 

Following the tour we had a delightful downhill ride for 20 k followed by a  23 k ride along the 409 from Vhrnika south of Ljubljana into Ljubljana. The ride into Ljubljana was not that pleasant as its a busy road but there is a cycle lane the whole way so it was reasonably civilized. 

We are staying a week in a flat in downtown Ljubljana so you may not hear from me for awhile; we are off the bike to enjoy this beautiful city and do some mainstream sight seeing! 

Ljubljana is a bustling, happening city.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Laura ClarkI finally figured out how to login to this site so I can comment on your amazing trip. The combination of Jill’s journaling and David’s photography is so top notch, that I feel I am reading my most favorite book of the summer! Absolutely fascinating and I am eager for more. Travel safe and know I am thinking of both of you daily.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago



Doberdan!

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 816 km (507 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Stuart GarrettI love this shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago