Rest Day in Kobarid (Aug. 24, 2022) - CentralEurope - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2022

Rest Day in Kobarid (Aug. 24, 2022)

Today we wandered down to the pizzeria for breakfast.  Given that half the restaurants in Slovenia are called pizzerias, this is not as weird as it sounds. It was actually quite a nice little restaurant and had we stayed here another day we likely would have had dinner there; we ordered breakfast off the menu, which was a change.   Prior to breakfast Dave was kind enough to step next door to the local bar and bring back an Americano for him and a cup of tea for me (I am definitely missing the portable tea kettle but having a considerate spouse is a good replacement!)

We settled on the day’s activity being a hike recommended by our waitress up to a waterfall, called Slap Kozjak. It was a good choice; a nice, shortish hike where we went over Napoleon’s Bridge - originally built in the  1750s and so named because Napoleon’s army marched across it on his march to (attempt to) conquer Europe.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The Soca Gorge is beautiful but the low water flow was noticeable compared to when I saw it in 2009 and 2012. The waterfall in the gorge was worthy:

And the view down the gorge from the bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the hike to the falls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0



Besides a cycling culture, Slovenia also has a bee culture and you see these bee boxes all over the place. We thought of our friend Diane from Woodinville, WA  when we saw these:

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
At last. The falls. Probably only a sliver compared to the spring run off.
Heart 4 Comment 0

I worked on the journal in the afternoon and Dave did some bike maintenance since he had some space in our garage/lobby/whatever. We had a superior and fun dinner at Topli Val. We sat next to a British couple who were on a trip to explore WW1 history and had a really enjoyable evening discussing all sorts of stuff. They gave us some advice on riding in Britain, since Dave and I had been contemplating a ride in the UK next year. Plus, the dinner was wonderful (raw seafood- a great change of pace).  Tomorrow we are back on the road with some history lessons in our future. (Dave can hardly wait!)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Stuart GarrettJill, your commentary is superb and Dave, your photography is wonderful! What a great trip you seem to be having!!! I hope the glass is getting replaced....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago