STATE OF WASHINGTON - Tour de Cascadia 2011 - CycleBlaze

STATE OF WASHINGTON

August 16 - September 6, 2011

I pedaled 1003 miles (1605 km) in the State of Washington.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Starting in Seattle I took two dead-end spurs to visit Goldmyer hot spring and Baker hot spring.

Then I followed the Adventure Cycling Association Sierra Cascades bicycle route from Concrete to Bridge of the Gods.

That route climbs the Skagit river to cross the North Cascades, then through arid valleys along the Methow and Columbia rivers to Lake Chelan. Then over Old Blewett pass and down the Yakima river canyon. Then back up into the Cascades to Mount Rainier National Park. Then south to Windy Ridge which overlooks the Mount St. Helens devastation zone. Then south on unpopulated forest roads and back to civilization near Bridge of the Gods.

To avoid 2-hour road construction delays on US 12 near White pass I rode instead on highway 410 over Chinook pass.

I also detoured from the ACA route to see more of Mount Rainier National Park and to see the Mount St. Helens devastation zone.

Elevation profile of the Washington segment. Total climbing was 54,600 feet (16,540 m).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0