Day 12: Lake Chelan to Blu-Shastin RV Park - Tour de Cascadia 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2011

Day 12: Lake Chelan to Blu-Shastin RV Park

Below is the route map for days 12 and 13. Lake Chelan to Yakima canyon. Terrain view is best.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The last two days were short and easy, so I'm well rested. I got on the road at 8, starting the day with a 530 foot climb on highway 971. The road goes through forest for several miles, but the forest gives way to grassland during the 900 foot descent to the Columbia river.

Final view of Lake Chelan and the Narrows.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I continued south on US 97A following the Columbia river downstream. It's mostly desert, but orchards appear wherever there is flat land near the river. Mostly apples, but also pears and cherries.

Back to the Columbia river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Entiat I stopped at the bakery for an excellent breakfast #2. The weather was starting to get hot.

Cliff near Entiat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I stopped for a few minutes at the lush park overlooking Rocky Reach dam. It was the only place with shade. The green irrigated grass really contrasts with the brown hillsides.

Rocky Reach dam also has an old turbine runner on display.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I continued south on US 97A to the edge of Wenatchee, then traveled west on Easy street, crossing hills on the northern edge of the populated area. No shade here either.

Wenatchee is the headquarters of Washington's apple industry. Huge packing plants and warehouses along the highway attest to the size of the industry. Wenatchee must be prosperous because the surrounding area has many hilltop luxury homes.

Easy Street leads to hilltop homes north of Wenatchee.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFunny street name - "Easy Street" :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Easy Street ends at US2, where I continued west 3 miles to Cashmere. US 2 is a busy divided highway but it has a good shoulder.

This really jolted me back to reality. Google her name for details.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Cashmere I exited onto city streets and promptly got lost. The actual street names don't seem to match the street names on the ACA map. Then a construction detour kept me off the ACA route. Cashmere is a charming town with hundreds of craftsman-style homes.

I continued west of Cashmere on back roads that are across the Wenatchee river from US 2. The back roads are much hillier than US 2, but the hills offer panoramic views that you can't get on US 2. There was no traffic, but I could often hear the roar of trucks on US 2 down below.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Wenathee river valley west of Cashmere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wenatchee river valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The apples will be harvested soon. Empty crates have been delivered to the orchards. I don't think orchards are especially beautiful but I was thoroughly enchanted by the Wenatchee river valley.

But it was hot. At least 95F (35C), and the road is always in the sun.

Orchards along Stine Hill road. Crates stacked for the upcoming harvest.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The back road dumped me on US 2/97 again, but after less than a mile I turned left onto US 97 while most of the traffic continued on US 2 towards Seattle.

US 97 goes south, climbing along Peshastin creek. Forest begins after a couple miles and the temperature dropped significantly.

US 97 crossing Pehastin creek. Entering the forest once again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

4 miles into the forest I got a campsite at the only campground in the area, Blu Shastin RV Park. I got a riverfront site surrounded by trailers and motor homes. Pretty good nevertheless. After several hours of blazing heat it was a relief to be back in the cool forest.

Creekside campsite at Blu-Shastin RV park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today had astonishing contrast. Lake Chelan, the desert canyon of the Columbia river, apple orchards in the Wenatchee valley, ending in forest once again.

Distance: 64.6 mi. (103 km)
Climbing: 3097 ft. (938 m)
Average Speed: 10.5 mph (16.8 km/h

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 577 miles (929 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0