Reunited with Debbie - North from Casablanca - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2012

Reunited with Debbie

Sunday ride to Harby and Skellingthorpe Gala

Time: where's it flying to? What with seeing family, sorting out stuff, getting a bike for Debbie set up, nipping to the pub and basically lazing around, the days are zipping by way too fast. 

Debbie’s bike – lent by Dave’s daughter-in-law – is an ali’-framed mountain bike originating from the UK chain Halfords. It's hardly been ridden and the tyres still have those tiny spiky bits on. Nice and light, it's just the job and suits Debbie's petite build.

The Carerra had been gathering dust in Dave’s garage and after fitting a basic rear rack that he had knocking about and changing the pedals for Debbie’s SPD ones, it's ready to hit the road - albeit a short maiden ride to a pub in the village of Harby.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Bottle & Glass is a place Mark, Dave and I had cycled to just a couple of weeks ago. This time Mark’s daughter Emma is coming along too and we all meet up down town in a Weatherspoon’s pub where we enjoy a cheap, Full English breakfast. The plan was to have one in Harby, but we couldn’t wait. So much for plans.

The 15 km to Harby is mostly on a bike path which follows a Roman-era canal due west out of Lincoln. It's a warm morning with little wind and we cruise along the flat route, out of the city’s periphery and into the green countryside. It doesn’t take us long to get to Harby.

Debbie posing behind the bar
Heart 2 Comment 0

The pub has a couple of people in and, like most English pubs, has become more of a restaurant than a village meeting place. We occupy a corner, flopping in comfy sofas and enjoying pints of draught Guinness. The other ales on offer include Black Sheep and Beacon, and later Debbie manages to get herself behind the bar for a photo of her pulling on the pump, thanks to Emma knowing the young landlady.

On the way home, with the bike path cutting through the village of Skellingthorp, we pause to visit my daughter Ruby, who has a stall at the village gala, selling handmade crafts and bits of vintage pottery.

Ruby and Charlie
Heart 2 Comment 0

The gala is a thick slice of traditional English culture. Local school children are competing in wacky races and competitions, such as a bathtub race, while the attractions included some kit-cars, a juggling clown and a collection of owls that perform stunts for their owner. It's not the sort of thing to attract throngs of tourists, but represents what England is: a bit eccentric.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After an hour we’ve had enough and pedal back to Lincoln, trying and succeeding to beat the menacing rain clouds that loom on the eastern horizon. It's all very British.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 3,513 km (2,182 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0