Bardney and Wragby - North from Casablanca - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2012

Bardney and Wragby

The idea is to set off early, but it's almost noon by the time Roy and I have organized ourselves. 

We pedal via the Cathedral and do some photography at Pottergate and on Lincoln's super-steep Steep Hill, replicating a couple of Patterson sketches.

About to leave Lincoln at around noon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then the sun goes. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Then the rain starts just as we cycle out of town, so we seek shelter in a park named the Arboretum where we sit and have a late lunch of bacon and mushroom sandwiches in a café, waiting for the dark clouds to blow over. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

It's mid-afternoon by the time they do and we leave Lincoln with me wondering about the plan for an early start.

We ride east, near where I used to live as a child, and up an irrelevant incline that as a child saw me pushing my three-speed bike. It's then a little drop into a dip at the edge of Lincoln and I recall whizzing down it at what had seemed great speed. 

The other side used to be mission impossible and no one I went to school with at that time could ride up the 100 metre slope. I tell Roy about it and he's obviously wondering how such a little hill could have caused me to walk, as he effortlessly cruises up it at 15 km/hr, but of course he isn't ten years old and has lots of low gears at his disposal.

After the village of Fiskerton we start on a bike path built on what was once a railway line after crossing the River Witham at Five-Mile Bridge. 

Trains would have stopped at the small station that's now gone and passengers would have got off and gone across the water by a small ferry.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a back-wind and it's quite sunny, although clouds do drift across the sky and cast shadows as we make our way to the village of Bardney, where I guess goods trains used to go to collect sugar made at a factory. That's before lorries replaced them.

The village has a lot of new-ish housing, but the church dates way back. Just around the corner from it is a street called Finch Way, so Roy and I pose for a snap by its sign before making our way north to Wragby.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We didn't stop once we get to the village and instead head towards Lincoln on the busy main road. This isn't the sort of road for cycling along and I remember having a torrid time as a child, pedaling back to Lincoln into a head wind and this is the same kind of experience before we turn off the A 158 at the first left.

Not far along the narrow lane is a sign simply stating historic church and it points into a field of yellow, shoulder-high rape. 

Goltho
Heart 0 Comment 0

We go down the grassy track to have a look and find the red brick structure open and its interior tidy, the woodwork painted a matt gray. Once, back in medieval times, there was a village around it, but Goltho has completely disappeared with this church the only thing left standing.

The footpath to the old church
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 2,797 km (1,737 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0