Harpers Ferry to Bolger Conference Center - Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2009

Harpers Ferry to Bolger Conference Center

The road leading from the hotel down toward historic Harpers Ferry followed the Shenandoah River. The ruins of a water power economy were interesting to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Be prepared to climb some stairs when touring Harpers Ferry. The stone steps in may places show the wear from many people that climbed before you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from Jefferson Rocks, looking downstream on the Potomac.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down on the bridge crossing the Potomac River back into Maryland and the canal. Interestingly, during the summer of 2010, while riding the Underground Railroad Route in Alabama, I saw a picture in a pizza shop of a train crossing this bridge into Harpers Ferry. Of course, the people in the store had no idea where the bridge was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An aqueduct across a stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took a turn away from the canal in order to get some lunch and were rewarded when a Bald Eagle soared over us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of the towpath is shady, but once out on the public roads the sun could get at us. This patch of shade at the crest of a hill proved to be irresistible to Dad. He claims he never actually slept, but not too many people snore while they are awake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the canal near White's Ferry we encountered two brothers riding with their father for several days on the canal. Their father wasn't quite as old as mine, but he had the same propensity for "creatively customizing" his bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gun is similar to the gun Dad serviced on a destroyer in World War II. I didn't learn until years later that "serviced" meant loading ammunition to the gun to shoot Kamikaze planes attacking the ship formation while they steamed toward Japan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rewatered section of the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady's heart was not really into walking her dog as she was reading a book while walking. You can't tell from this picture, but the dog was really disgusted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our plan was to bicycle to the area near Great Falls National Park and find a place to stay overnight. We wanted to be close enough to bicycle to Georgetown and return the same day. Unfortunately, there are few hotels within easy cycling distance of the canal. I located the Bolger Conference Center which was created as a conference center for the US Postal Service. The room turned out to be a suite and very nice. The main dining room was pricey, but there was a nice little bar that also cooked food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grounds were nicely landscaped.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 349 miles (562 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0