Cumberland to Hancock - Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2009

Cumberland to Hancock

The surface of the C&O Canal is rougher than the GAP trail, in many places two parallel paths with random roots, rocks and holes to keep things interesting.

A restored canal house at a lock. We were fortunate this day that a volunteer had the building open for visitors. A canal family lived here, probably selling items to the people on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In most areas the canal was drained, but very pretty where it had been rewatered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 3/4 mile long Paw Paw Tunnel is still an engineering marvel, especially considering it was blasted out with black powder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When a cyclist starts into the tunnel, you can clearly see the light from the other end. It doesn't seem too bad at all, but it quickly becomes very dark, the kind of dark where you can't see your hand in front of your face unless your hand is in front of the light at the other end. Pushing the bike while avoiding the well worn railing between the tow path and the canal on the left and the rough brick of the wall on the right is an acquired skill. There are places near the end where potholes in the tow path are full of water... an interesting surprise if you happen to be the leader. The first time I went through the tunnel was July 4th weekend in 1976 on a ride with my brother-in-law. When we came out of the end of the tunnel, we saw the largest (dead) rattlesnake I've ever seen in the still water in the canal bottom. That memory always makes going through the tunnel more interesting. Note: I've never heard of anybody else encountering any snakes in the tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another possible fixer upper for a B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0
he view of the canal lock from the keel level of a canal boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 226 miles (364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0