Bolger Center to Harpers Ferry II: - Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2009

Bolger Center to Harpers Ferry II:

It's all up hill from here

As I mentioned earlier we decided that since we were both retired and had the freedom to set our own schedules, rather than try to have someone drive into city traffic to pick us up, it would be more fun to just bicycle back to Cumberland. Although it was obviously the same canal going northwest as going southeast, it still was a different ride. We stopped to take closer looks at places we skipped or hurried through on the way down.

The refurbished canal buildings were always interesting and scenic... Dad looked fine too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal boat at Great Falls National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were pretty pleased with ourselves getting this picture of a black snake stretched across the towpath. Shortly after taking the picture, wife Rhona phoned to report an adventure she just experienced on the GAP trail near Garrett, PA. She cycled past a snake on the trail. Timid wife Rhona then turned around to go back to look at what turned out to be a rattlesnake. While she was standing looking (as close as she dared), an acorn dropped out of the tree above her, bouncing off her helmet. She was unable to estimate how high she jumped. Kind of put our black snake to shame.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anywhere the canal had been rewatered there were good pictures to be had.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the best pictures were not natural features. Here kids were lined up in the river getting ready for their next Kayaking lesson. As an retired educator, I was impressed at the instructor's ability to get the kids all lined up and waiting for instructions.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 439 miles (707 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0