Reunited with the Mighty Murray: Lameroo to Wellington - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2017

Reunited with the Mighty Murray: Lameroo to Wellington

Despite the disturbed night in the campground thanks to the combined frontal attack by 1 a.m. lawn sprinklers and the 1.30 a.m. visit by a smoking, dog-walking, music playing, car revving irrascible woman ... we were awake early this morning and ready to ride.

Riding was easy and enjoyable to the small town of Peake. Conditions were cool, wind free, with changing views, and interesting scenery moving from Mallee landscapes to back to the riverine plants and landforms of the Murray Valley.

Traffic was light except for the occasional grain trucks which demanded alertness. All considered it was a very good day until Tailem Bend.

Then what was meant to be the last few easy kms into Tailem Bend were on the very busy Dukes Highway. We arrived at Tailem Bend after a short stint with heavy traffic. Whoops! There is no accommodation available as a major construction project has brought many workers into the town. Thankfully a phone call booked us into a cabin 13 km away in the downriver village of Wellington. So we crossed the river on the free ferry, and then ploughed onwards into a very strong headwind past many dairy farms to lovely Wellington. We are here now. It’s a friendly little town with a great pub, one tiny shop and a pleasant campground with quite a few permanent residents.

The longer and windier than expected afternoon ride has been worth it to reach Wellington.

Still in the distinctive Mallee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lost dreams?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Murray Valley from Tailem Bend
Heart 0 Comment 0
I met and had a pleasant chat with the father and son team running the busy Peake Post Office
Heart 0 Comment 0
Real and statue pelicans mean the lower Murray is near.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry crossing to the rurally productive Fleurieu Peninsula across the Murray River from Tailem Bend.
John did an excellent job directing traffic and trying to collect fees from drivers on the free ferry service.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 129 km (80 miles)
Total: 1,433 km (890 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0