By the Grace of Billy: Canberra to Wee Jasper - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2017

By the Grace of Billy: Canberra to Wee Jasper

Today’s ride started at home and finished at Billy Grace Camping Reserve at the tiny Wee Jasper settlement on the pristine Goodradigbee River.

Even factoring in it that was a first day of tour with untuned legs, it was still a hard days riding due to the amount of ascents and the afternoon heat. Nevertheless, the scenery was beautiful, the route almost vehicle free and the camp site excellent.

Exiting Canberra by bikeways was easy and enjoyable. They led to quiet country roads which led to an extremely quiet valley village called Wee Jasper. Near Wee Jasper there are several beautiful camping reserves. Billy Grace campground was the nearest so we pulled in there, paid $13 each and set up camp.

We cooked meals on the campstoves and crashed early.

Will noticed a couple of equipment problems. His Vaude panniers has come apart at the seams, and his 35 year old MSR stove kept flaring out.

About 6.5 hours of pedalling time. Big first day. Ascents 1040 metre. Descents 1250 metre. Highest poit 690 m. Lowest 370 metre

Leaving Canberra via the Lake Burley Griffin bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Murrumbidgee River at Uriarra Crossing. From here the real climbing began.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Border. Marked by the end of asphalt for about 6km
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural scenery along Mountain Creek Road. Recent rain has the farms looking good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting lunch stop amid a herd of Angus heifers being moved onto fresh pastures via the road. From paddock to almost on our plates. At the intersection of Mountain Creek Road and the Yass-Wee Jasper Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Limestone country. Devonian layers? Classic geology image but I have no idea what type of geology. Sedimentary sounds like a good label.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First glimpse of the Burrinjuck dan and the Goodradigbee Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s closed. No shop or services at Wee Jasper. Bring your own supplies. There is a restaurant at a nearby property. About 5km away. Not sure when it’s open.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bivvy bag camping set up at Billy Grace Reserve. It was a long, hard, first day for a tour. But well worth it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 95 km (59 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0