Arrived Adelaide CBD!: Wentworth to Adelaide CBD - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 13, 2017

Arrived Adelaide CBD!: Wentworth to Adelaide CBD

Up and atom at dawn it was an early start to attempt to beat the forecast heat wave conditions.
It was a very pleasant and easy morning ride to the quaint village of Langhorne Creek known for its many wines and diversity of high quality food crops. The general store owner was very welcoming and obviously very proud of the village and the region.

From here, John headed to Goolwa to see the Murray mouth, and I pushed on directly to Adelaide.
This meant a ride up and through the Adelaide Hills villages which was a hard slog on a hot day but very scenic. I stopped frequently to drink and cool off. The backroad route passed through several towns and villages, all with good services.
From Aldgate it was difficult to find the bike path, essential to descend into Adelaide. Bikes are banned on the motorway.

I eventually found the poorly signed path. The Crafers Bikeway. It’s mostly the former highway, and is an excellent way to get into Adelaide from the Adelaide Hills. It starts near the Mt Lofty summit path.

The day finished with a high speed descent into Adelaide on a bike path Damien had directed me to.
I am staying in a small hotel hotel at a very reasonable tarif; and it even has a secure storage for my bike.

Heart 0 Comment 0
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it!” Yogi Berra. From Langhorne Creek John headed to Goolwa. Me to Adelaide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Super smooth. Super green. Lawn turf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Adelaide Hills are well endowed with vineyards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Van towing an SUV carrying bikes. In Strathalbyn. Fellow travellers with multiple sets of wheels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many rustic stone cottages in the area
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a few drystone fences
Heart 0 Comment 0
Postcard views through the Adelaide Hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shady lanes made for pleasant riding on a hot day in the Adelaide Hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a godsend. Thanks Damien for letting me know it existed. It is not easy to find. Ask fir directions from Aldgate or be observant for less than obvious signage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the Crafers bikeway of Adelaide and the motorway where bicycles are forbidden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adelaide getting closer. It’s about a 13 km fast roll down the hill to the city from just below the Mt Lofty summit trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycle friendly houses on the way down to Adelaide
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early evening arrival in the City of Churches. Tidy, well planned, progressive and attractive Adelaide.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 106 km (66 miles)
Total: 1,539 km (956 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0