Acknowledging Aboriginal Land - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

Acknowledging Aboriginal Land

Australia is fortunate to be home to the world’s oldest continuous culture. Aborigines have been living in Australia for at least 65,000 years. They have a rich and diverse culture with several hundred different language groups across the entire continent. European arrival (variously described as an invasion or settlement) in the late 1700s resulted in massive disruption to Aboriginal and Torres Strait people, their complex traditional culture and their land. Disease, massacres, land theft and systematic legal and social discrimination caused immense suffering and displacement. The intergenerational affects of this continue today. Despite this major setback, Aborigines survived and are still on and strongly connected to their country throughout Australia.

Aboriginal contemporary and historical culture is a defining and distinctive part of modern Australia.

More about Aboriginal history in Australia:
https://theconversation.com/friday-essay-when-did-australias-human-history-begin-87251

This cycle-tour will cross the traditional land of many Aboriginal groups. The Murray River provided a concentrated ribbon of resources which supported Aboriginal people and their diverse culture for tens of thousands of years.

The map below shows the different Aboriginal language groups between Canberra and Adelaide along the Murray corridor. The ride will begin on Ngunawal country where I live now in Canberra, then to Ngarigo and eventually through about 12 other regions to Adelaide.
My home patch is further north...the Kamilaroi country in northern NSW and southern Queensland.

Before beginning this ride I would like to acknowledge, recognise and respect that I will be travelling on land which has been under the care of living and past Aboriginal people for many, many generations.

Aboriginal language groups of South East Australia. This cycle tour will begin in Canberra and finish in Adelaide. Both are marked on this map. Notice the number of Aboriginal traditional lands in between.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0