Axel Merckx Gran Fondo: We did it - Canada 150 - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2017

Axel Merckx Gran Fondo: We did it

Our little group had 3 people ride the 126 km and 2 people ride the 92km, none of us took on the century mostly because of hot weather in the Okanagan valley. Trust me this ride was enough. My statistics were 125km, 3733ft of climbing, at an average speed of 25.7kph/16.1mph. Average heart rate 140 and maximum heart rate 174, not bad for an old girl. This event is extremely well marshalled and supported by the local communities and the BC Giold Wing drill team. We had 5 rest stops all well stocked and supported, bike security at the finish along with food and drink. My ride was uneventful other than having a great ride but Gail had a black bear come down the hill beside her and then it ran between her and the cyclist behind. She wisely did not stop for a photo. We had nice cloud cover to keep the temperature down and the smoke was not too bad. After the ride we enjoyed the post ride festivities of an ice cold towel, popsicles, a burger with chips and a cold beer.

This whole town is consumed with the event this weekend. I can now say that this motto applies to my ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 3 amigos or stooges at the start of the 126km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail asking this fellow about the stuffed squirrel on his back. He has been riding with it for 12 years after his grand daughter bought it for him. It has brought him lots of good luck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view at the start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Start line selfie when we look pretty good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These signs are permanently along the route so anyone can come and do the ride whenever they want.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail from Arizona giving a wave as she approaches the finish line. Well done!!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 92km finishers enjoying the completion of their ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nothing like a burger and beer at the post event celebration, even if it is a veggie burger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Done in so many ways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying a popsicle at the end of the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Post ride selfie including Lawrence of Arabia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 126km route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 126km profile. The climb at 90km was 1km of 12-15%.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Results
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail with the BC Gold Wings drill team who provided great support to the Gran Fondo.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 130 km (81 miles)
Total: 424 km (263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0