Sacramento to Saint Helena - Across the USA in Stages - Stage 7 - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2023

Sacramento to Saint Helena

7.9

Two days left on this extravaganza! Hard to believe it is coming down to the finish but all good things do come to an end. But first we have to ride and the ride today had a good bit of variety. 

We left “Sac City” via a bridge over the American River to enter West Sacramento and Yolo County. Shortly thereafter we got onto the Yolo Causeway Trail that runs parallel to and separated from I-80. Adjacent to and below the trail is a wildlife refuge area. There were cattle grazing down there as well. We could hear the traffic but we were safely away from it. 

The area adjacent to the Yolo Causeway Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chuck riding on the Yolo Causeway Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail continued to and into the city of Davis. Once there, the surface changed a bit and the separation from the highway was greater. Trees lined the trail as well. Closer to town, there were some homeless encampments but they were relatively innocuous. 

UC-Davis welcome center.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then got onto a series of pathways through the campus of UC-Davis. The university is definitely set up for bicycling and many students were getting around via that mode of transportation. Everyone we met was friendly. The few times we were uncertain of which way to go, the people we asked were cheerfully helpful. 

UC-Davis is a bike friendly campus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A scene on the campus of UC-Davis.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the other side of campus, the trail continued for several more miles out of town and into an agricultural area where we passed through various groves of nut trees, olives, orchards, grape vines, and fields of tomatoes that had been recently harvested. 

Trail between Davis and Winters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of the groves of trees we passed by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the trail ended, we got onto Putah Creek Road and this was typical of riding conditions there.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail out of Davis continued to a point where we had to get on the roads. However, the roads in the area were very low in traffic volume and the agricultural character continued all the way to the town of Winters. Especially nice was Putah Creek Road (pictured above). 

When we got to Winters, we took a break in a park in the center of town. There were quite a few cyclists and other people patronizing local restaurants, cafes, and shops in what was a very nice looking town square. Since we had our own nutritional items with us, we stayed in the shady park and rested up.

The tomato harvest was nearly complete as we passed through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Putah Creek Road led up to a trail/walking path. We used it and a bridge to enter the town of Winters, California.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our break, it was time to tackle the first part of the coast range. For us, the crossing would be in two parts. From Winters, we descended for several miles to a crossing of Putah Creek. It was there that the first part of the climbing of these dry hills began. 

Descending through the dry hills to the low point at Putah Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After crossing Putah Creek, we were briefly in Solano County before entering Napa County.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Berryessa, as seen while climbing in the Vacas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were a number of farms and ranches along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climb up and over would lead us into the relatively narrow (and famous) Napa Valley. Then there would be another range of mountains to cross over (part 2) before we reached the coast, tomorrow. The more Easterly range, that we crossed today, are called the Vacas. Those awaiting us to the West are the Mayacamas. You learn all kinds of useless information on these bike tours.

We had three significant climbs and descents in the Vacas. The climbs were mostly  gradual but they had their moments in the afternoon heat. Traffic was thankfully light as we were toiling up and down. 

View #1 of the Somerston Vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View #2 of the Somerston Vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to the Somerston Operation at the top of the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Toward the end, we were passing large vineyards and winery operations. The Somerston property was quite extensive, covering the hilltop and the valley below. I stopped for a few moments to take in the vista before making the final descent into the Napa Valley.

Vineyards along the roadside in Saint Helena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A long downhill led us into the Napa Valley. Instantly, upon reaching the main road at the bottom, there was more traffic. We rode into the town of Saint Helena, where our lodging destination lay. There were quite a few people in the area on business, on vacation, in for various weddings and parties. Great spot for all such events. We had dinner at a local pizza place which was packed and hosting several different parties of folks who were celebrating various occasions. It was a fun atmosphere of which to be a part. Afterwards, I retired to my very nice room at the El Bonita Motel.

On the way into the town of Saint Helena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 miles (116 km)
Total: 1,110 miles (1,786 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0