Frenchman to Fallon - Across the USA in Stages - Stage 7 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2023

Frenchman to Fallon

7.4

I’ve been keeping  some folks back home informed about the trip. A friend came up with the special effects photo below.

Special effects by Yale Cohen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the morning, Lynn shuttled the three of us back to Frenchman. From there, we started riding toward Fallon. Although it would be a short day, the ride would begin with a pass to climb.

At the Summit of Sand Springs Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The pass was not too difficult… about a mile or so… maybe we’re getting used to the abuse! The downhill ride from the top was especially nice on this cool and clear morning.

Michel turned off at the Sand Mountain Recreation Area, perhaps to have a closer look at the phenomenon. It looks like a desert sand dune, like might be seen in the Saharan Desert. I stopped for a photo but the kept on moving  toward Fallon. That was the last I saw of Michel. 

The Sand Mountain Recreation Area.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once back in town, we would essentially have a day off. I was looking forward to it in order to relax, get reorganized, and use a real washing machine to clean my limited inventory of clothing. Up to this point in time, I had been hand washing my clothing and then hanging the articles out to dry. It was working out well but access to a washer and dryer was going to be nice.

After Sand Springs Pass, the ride to Fallon was easy. It passed through a huge area of salt flats. We had seen one such area on the other side of the pass but it was quite extensive on this side. Most of it was very dry with white accretions of salt that could be seen on the surfaces in some areas. Apparently, the area is also used for off-roading in jeeps and other motor vehicles modified for such purposes.

Salt Flats along US-50, on the way to Fallon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dried salt deposits at the surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Closer to Fallon was the Grimes Archeological Area. Here, petroglyphs dating from 500-2500 years ago can be seen. Lynn had stopped there and I met her as she was coming back down the trail. 

Lynn, coming back down the petroglyphs trail at Grimes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Grimes, it wasn’t very far into town. Fallon is the first real town I have seen since Flagstaff. There was some local traffic but most seemed used to the idea that bicyclists also use the road. There is water here and farming that goes on. A hatching of small yellow butterflies must have happened recently. They were everywhere, including in an adjacent field that was full of purple flowers. Despite the appearance of extensive and dry "wastelands," there is water here in and around Fallon.

Something you don’t see a lot of in Nevada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike lane on US-50 in Fallon. It would be nice to have this all across state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Fallon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Fallon, we fell below 4000 feet. Still about 3 times higher than where I live but no longer as rarified as where we have been. What goes up must come down. Onward to Carson City!

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 782 miles (1,259 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0