Fox River Trail - Across the USA in Stages - Stage 7 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2023

Fox River Trail

Suburban Chicago Trail

Today was exponentially smoother than yesterday. After a great night of sleep, I met Stan for breakfast. Then we met up with George, at the Fox River Trail (FRT) parking area in North Aurora, Illinois.

FRT trailhead, North Aurora, Illinois.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The FRT runs 40 miles, from Aurora (South) to Algonquin (North). From where we began, we were about 4 miles North of the trailhead in Aurora. We would get to the Southernmost trailhead near the end of our ride but we began by heading Northward. 

One of several dams on the Fox River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From North Aurora, it was around 3.5 miles to Batavia. The riverfront there centered around a pond-like area that is an offshoot from the main river. It is a beautiful spot that happens to be great for Crappie fishing (not a contradiction in terms). There is a sculpture of a Native American who is wearing a large catch as a hood and cape. It is called, “From the Water Comes My Bounty.”

From the Water Comes My Bounty statue.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We moved on from Batavia toward Geneva and St. Charles. The next attraction was a huge and authentic Dutch Windmill that was relocated by the Fabayans, as part of their estate and farm.  When the couple passed away (late 1930s), the property was acquired by the local government and turned into a park. The Fabayan Windmill is still operating at times during the year.

The Fabayan Windmill.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We continued Northward to St. Charles and it’s several attractions. The white municipal building catches the eye upon entering the central business district. It also dominates the riverfront area through which the FRT passes. 

The St. Charles (Illinois) municipal building as seen from Volunteer Plaza, along the Fox River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

These are several other sculptures and historical items to be seen from the trail. We stopped for a closer look at a few. The Pottawattamie Indians once inhabited this area. There is an impressive monument to their Chief Ekwabet.

Reflections, sculpted to depict the collective energy of all of the volunteers for whom this area is named.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monument to Chief Ekwabet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fox constructed of bicycle parts.
Heart 3 Comment 0

A little while after passing the Fox sculpture, we turned around and headed South on the FRT. on the way back, there is a newer wooden bridge that was built under the Route 38 bridge. It led us over the river to Geneva. George directed us to Graham’s 318 Coffee Shop. Once there, we took a break to enjoy some of their offerings.

Covered Bridge to Geneva.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The cafe lies in an upscale area with other restaurants and shopping. George told us that city folk take the commuter train out from Chicago to poke around in this area on weekends.

We crossed the bridge again, got back on the FRT, and pedaled back to North Aurora. Not quite yet satisfied, we headed South to Aurora and the promise of another coffee at a Ugandan-themed shop. Fortunately, the trail had ample shade since the day was heating up.

The shady FRT was nice during the warm afternoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a stop at Endiro Coffee, across the river from Hollywood Casino. George told us the casino once floated on the river because it was what the gaming laws permitted. The laws have since changed and the casino is now anchored on a solid foundation.

After a second coffee shop stop, we returned to the North Aurora trailhead to conclude our ride for the day. George described connections from the FRT to other trails, from which a 54-mile loop is possible. Since this could be done from his front door, I suggested we do it, in a few weeks, when I return from my trip. I’ll let you know if it happens.

Relaxing at Endiro Coffee in Aurora.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stan and I took George and his wife Maggie out to dinner later on that evening. We had a good time and a nice ending to a wonderful day.

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 26 miles (42 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0