Day 10: To a free campsite near Gaviota - The California J 2009 - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2009

Day 10: To a free campsite near Gaviota

I got on the road at 8:50. It was overcast and cool for the first hour until highway 1 turned inland into the Santa Maria valley which was filled with vegetable fields. Traffic was much lighter than yesterday. Today I stay inland all day, mostly in sparsely populated agricultural areas. This part of the coast has little access because of Vandenberg Air Force Base (where the Air Force launches rockets into space) and Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant.

Lettuce.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat field of lettuce! I've tried growing it at home, and haven't been successful! :/
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Santa Maria valley near the town of Guadalupe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Asparagus.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's a field of Asparagus? Interesting looking! That's a vegetable I haven't tried to grow (yet).
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

I took the Harris Grade option instead of the flatter longer route along highway 1 towards Vandenberg Air Force Base. The reward is a couple of good views looking down.

View from the top of the Harris Grade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vandenberg Air Force Base.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then highway 1 goes through the town of Lompoc, about 5 miles of traffic before beginning a long lonely climb to an 1100 foot summit.

Starting the big climb south of Lompoc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
South of Lompoc.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then highway 1 descends steeply and dead-ends into US 101. On the far side of highway 101 I pushed the bike up a steep trail to Las Cruces warm spring. On an 80F sunny afternoon the water temperature was 97.7F. Pretty nice. The pool is 2 feet deep with the warm water percolating in from the sandy bottom. I soaked there for a couple hours, then left to find a place to camp.

Las Cruces warm spring.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Down the hill I turned left on a trail with a sign saying "Trespass Trail" (no joke!). Up that trail I took a spur to a grassy hilltop and found an area with the tall grass already pressed flat. I'm not the first person to camp here lately. The campsite had a spectacular view of Gaviota gorge. Far below was highway 101 threading down through Gaviota gorge towards the coast.

View of Gaviota canyon from my free campsite. Some things money just can't buy...
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a wonderful free campsite and view you had of the Gaviota canyon! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

There's no water or toilet, but I'm well prepared. Tomorrow morning it's all downhill to get water at Gaviota state beach. Despite the drone of 101 far below, it's far more peaceful than being in the middle of a busy state beach campground.

Today was a long ride at a slow average speed. Many hours pedaling without a lot of "play" time. Less traffic today. The inland route is sunnier and warmer than the coast. I didn't see the ocean at all today.

Distance: 64.9 mi (104 km)

Climbing: 3356 ft (1017 m)

Average speed: 9.8 mph (15.7 km/h)

Max speed: 43 mph (69 km/h)

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 430 miles (692 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0